Why is Baylor still in a Power 5 after non-stop misconduct?

The fact that they let this guy go shows something is wrong the Baylor higher ups.

He’s not an athlete, but this is a bad look for Baylor coming off of the Art Briles scandal

I would be ashamed if I was the Big 12 commissioner to be associated with this school right now

1 Like

This is on the judge for sure. Not sure if he is elected but they need to elect someone else.

The Judge’s Judgement shall come back upon him…maybe not in this lifetime, but rest assured, it will…

2 Likes

From the article…

McLennan County Assistant District Attorney Hilary LaBorde said in a statement that she believed the plea agreement was “the best outcome given the facts of the case.” She said that Anderson will now be on “felony probation and will receive sex offender treatment,” adding that those punishments were not guaranteed if the case went to trial.

“Given the claims made public, I understand why people are upset. However, all of the facts must be considered and there are many facts the public does not have,” LaBorde said. “In approving this agreement, Judge Strother had access to all the statements that have ever been made by all people involved and agreed that the plea agreement offered was appropriate in this case.”

If the prosecutor is saying that the plea deal was the “best outcome,” that tells me all I need to know about the strength of the case.

5 Likes

Being labeled a sex offender will follow him for years to come. Wherever he goes the general public will be alerted and he will have a criminal record. Not the outcome the victim would want, but his life is tarnished none the same.

But he’s not required to register or anything that would imply he is a sex offender. He essentially got off scott-free.

To answer the OP’s question, kicking Baylor out of the club is a scary precedent for the rest. Once you kick someone out of the club it’s possible they can kick you out of the club.

I’m not saying he did or he didn’t but we forget about being innocent until proven guilty and are associating him with Baylor culture. Like I said, he may or may not have but, we dont know all the facts and as far as I read there were conflicting statements. You can’t believe everything you read and you cant assume to know because it was a frat guy and a college girl.

I think we need to slow down before passing judgment. A lot of folks can accuse someone of a crime but that does not make it true. I don’t know anything about this case but if this was a slam dunk case there would be no reason to plea deal and plenty of folks accept plea deals that are not guilty. I don’t know if this dude did it or not and I am not necessarily talking about this case in particular but as a society we need to stop this rush to judgment the system works but it takes time. In time everything come out.

3 Likes

I see what you are saying, but Temple never had that opportunity…and Baylor would probably equal Temple.

The systems works if you can afford it.

1 Like

He will not have to register as a sex offender.

Would it surprise anyone to learn that both the DA, LaBorde, and the trial judge, Strother, are graduates of Baylor Law School? (They are.)

Wow! Who would suspect that lawyers that graduated from Baylor Law School would still be in the area? Sounds like a conspiracy for sure.

1 Like

This case is a terrible injustice but unless I’m missing something, it has nothing to do with Baylor Football.

We have head coaches covering up murder (hoops), football coaches covering up rape (football). What else do they need to do to get the death penalty? The NCAA is spineless.

The Waco DA might be protecting a Baylor financial supporter. Similar to the FSU DA a couple of years ago, or Penn State, or . . …

Baylor is DOA if they do a Penn St. They commit that infraction, the big 12 will have NO OPTION but to give them the boot.

I appreciate this post. I’m doing my damndest to find a story online depicting Anderson’s version of events to no avail.

There’s got to be more to the story than “rapist gets plea bargain for $400 and probation”.

Baylor’s still in a Power 5 because the Big 12 doesn’t want to go through litigation if they drop them from the conference right now. With the Grant of Rights, among other legal language, dropping Baylor would more than likely result in a drawn out court battle that could expose a lot of little things the conference doesn’t want to put out there.

Easier for the conference (i.e. OU and UT) to ride out this TV contract and see what happens before doing anything.