Why not be the first 16 team conference?

No idea. I’d say take the top 9-10 options from the AAC and MWC. Conference would only be an alliance for football; other sports would only be within its own conference.

As great a story as Western Michigan was, there’s just not a legitimate option from the MAC. Probably the most frustrating thing about the G5 access bowl is that we have to compete with teams in lesser conferences. Granted, they earned it in the end, but they just don’t play the same schedule.

And yes, I realize the irony of complaining about schedule strength when that’s the same argument used against us by P5s.

1 Like

You need a parachute before you jump. You talk like we are ignoring opportunities. Right now the AAC is the place to be for UH.

1 Like

We can extrapolate all we want. What matters is to get into a P5. Any P5 will work. The P5 is a CARTEL like it or not. It is what it is. Until an act of congress changes it we are on the outside looking in.
The AAC is a waiting room for a P5 nothing more nothing less. Nobody cares about it. What matters is when we kick some major P5 Teams in the derriere and we do it regularly. In fact when the opportunity presents itself we need to run up the score on any P5. Why you ask? Because it get us ratings. Ratings will get us a P5 invite.

Guys, I’m all with wanting to be in a P5, but as long as we’re not in a P5, shouldn’t we be efforting to be in the best non-P5? Whether it’s as an Independent or the AAC or something else.

My first preference is to be in a P5. If that’s not happening, I like the idea of blowing up the G5 and making the best 16 team conference. If that’s not an option, then adding the best teams available/interested in order to make the AAC even stronger as a 16 team conference.

As a 16 team conference I see 4, 4 team divisions. You play all 3 team in your division, and the other 12 are on a cycle of 6 teams, leaving you with 3 out of conference games.

Until the big shake up after the GORs expire in 2024?, then we can start talking 20+ team conferences. Until then, I’d rather sit in the strongest 16 team conference we can. It’s hypocritical, but why add 4 or 6 teams to the table to split up the pie?.

UH gets lost in a g5 16 team conference. Think cusa and how a bunch of know it all’s said UH would dominate, never happened.

Leave aac the way it is for football and try to host championship game every year. So far temple has been the repeat in the only two and no one predicted that.

Temple also won the AAC this year. Which bowl are they playing in?

Military Bowl, I believe.

Houston won the aac, which bowl did it play in?

My point is, just because you win the AAC does not mean you go to a NY6 bowl. If we strengthen our conference, hopefully that changes.

UCONN fans are delusional.

1 Like

The goal is to get out of the AAC and into one of the P5 conferences or P4 when the B12 implodes. Going to 16 does not help Houston in attaining its goal.

Goal should be to be in the best conference available. Goal 1 is to be ACC/SEC/PAC/B1G. If that doesn’t happen, and we accept that B12 is a no go, we should focus on making the AAC the best conference it can be. Adding BYU would certainly improve AAC, but that’s unlikely.

1 Like

AAC raids MWC. Split into 2 divisions
West:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
New Mexico
San Diego State
BYU
Boise State
UNLV
Colorado State

East:
Temple
Navy
Army
Air Force
USF
UCF
Memphis
ECU
Cincinnati
Uconn

Air Force goes to the east division to keep the Commander in Chief series trophy in one division. Each team plays 9 division games with 3 OOC games. Winner plays other division champion

1 Like

With that weak of an East, it sounds like the West Division will be the champion every year. lol

Added the east division now, that way the west won’t be such a heavy favorite lol

1 Like

“The rise and fall of the WAC: Lessons we learned from the 16-team conference experiment”

1 Like

Strange article and I’m not really sure where Dodd was going with it. The WAC failed, not because it was a 16 team conference, but because it was a conference that really didn’t have any ties to each other. Schools were added because they were available with no idea of whether it was a good fit.

In the end, I’m glad that Houston was kept out of that mess and made do in CUSA for awhile.

My thought: IF the money was right. Anything can be worked out over time.

The WAC was a different era of TV and not a collection of schools anyone would shell out enough huge $ to make it work.

1 Like

Agreed. If the Networks decide they want a 16 team conference, it’ll happen.

3 Likes