Wikipedia says Briles has no deal with FSU

This is a joke thread title right. Who in 2018 could not be aware that that site is a crowd edited compendium.

I’m still puzzled at this Kendal story. What happened with that Duarte tweet staying Briles had resigned here. How’d it get from that to FSU hiring him.

Kendal did sign a new contract, however, he also has continued to interview with other schools even after signing the contract. This is the world of college football we live in…where contracts mean pretty much nothing.

By the way, the latest FSU twitter update (honestly, just posting because it’s funny to follow):

• Quite a few twitter folks don’t want Briles hired because of his Baylor connection and promise to give up FSU football. Quite a few others are yelling at those folks and telling them to deal with it as well as telling them that they will still show up anyway. (Sounds familiar)
  • Some FSU “insiders” say the deal will be announced in the next hour. Of course, they keep saying that every hour.
  • Other “insiders” are saying it’s a done deal with Clements going with him. Others are saying that UCF QB coach Jeff Lebby is also joining him. Others don’t realize that Jeff Lebby is apparently in the running for the Tennessee OC job
  • No other candidates have really been mentioned since Briles so some take that as a sign that Briles is the guy. Others take it as Willie Taggart and the FSU admin being incompetent. Others are lost on what’s happening in the OC search (including FSU’s sbnation page).
  • Lot of folks keep pointing back to the gocoogs.com twitter post and taking it as gospel. Kind of interested to see how that turns out.

From non-FSU twitter, I’ve heard that Briles is still at Bowl practices and is said to be dialed-in. Doesn’t mean much, but at least he’s still trying to get the team ready.

3 Likes

Thanks Pray for the summary. Basically part and parcel with the online era of instant ‘news’ available to the public. Can’t rely on anything unless it’s an actual school press release (or direct tweet from the person(s) involved).

Though great news that he’s still prepping for the AF Bowl.

Morning FSU Twitter update:

• FSU still vetting Briles
  • FSU doesn’t want to announce Briles until after UH bowl game to respect Briles wishes
  • FSU doesn’t want to announce until after signing day since some assistants will lose their jobs and they don’t want to lose commits that those assistants are working with. Also don’t want bad press from Briles hire right before Signing Day
  • It’s a done deal
  • It’s not a done deal
  • Briles is backing out of deal
4 Likes

That about covers it.

Makes sense they are waiting till after our bowl game, sounds reasonable, probably a done deal we will see next weekend I guess. To close to our bowl game to announce it now

Haven’t done this in awhlie because everything from the FSU “insiders” is that Briles and Clements will be there either after early signing day or after the bowl game. The reasoning is because no one has heard anything about any other candidates since they interviewed Briles.

However, there seems to be a new development in that FSU “insiders” seem to think that Briles is going to bring “grad transfer” D’Eriq King with him. :joy:

For one thing, I’m not sure King will graduate considers he’s only been at UH for 2 1/2 years. Now, some players have done it (Bear Fenimore), but I’m pretty sure King has been taking a normal load. The other thing is that King didn’t come here with Briles and I doubt he has any intention of leaving Houston. Now, I don’t know him, and he can change his mind, but that would be a pretty big shift in thinking.

Anyway, no clue if any of this is actually happening. Probably have to wait until after the bowl game to know for sure.

Sounds like wild speculation in the wake of FSU losing their #1 QB target to UNC.

3 Likes

I had to see the grad transfer thing with my own two eyes… good grief :rofl:

I’ve said this before. If Briles closes is over FSU, that’s a huge win for us in selling that same message to recruits.

Briles needs to be patient. He needs to be avg next year and go 7-6. Appleturnover will be let go and he will be HC. BOOM.

I don’t believe UH would hire him as headcoach. He would probably condition it on him hiring his father.

Besides I hope UH had more integrity than to hire someone that purposely lost games to get his boss fired.

1 Like

Most media are reporting that FSU and Briles were in agreement on a 3-year deal but Orlando nixed it.

2 Likes

Isn’t King a junior?

He’ll be a grad transfer after next season for sure though

Uhhh his eligibility will be up for sure next season though !

1 Like

I can see Briles picking up King as a grad transfer

They clearly have a solid relationship with eachother. Briles wouldn’t have been successful here if it wasn’t for him

Grad transfers are for student/athletes(s/a) who have obtained a degree at current school but have only played 3 yrs of Athletics and rare occasions they only played 2 yrs. King did not RS his freshman yr so he has only 1 yr left, being next year! If he chooses to leave UH he has sit out a year unless he has degree in hand from UH after say Spring semester.

Who or what is Orlando? Having blonde moment.

1 Like

don’t think you’re still understanding the Grad transfer and how it works but that’s ok. Btw King is not going anywhere and last I checked Briles was still OC at UH. Leave the FSU Insider in Tallahassee.

It was a very bad joke about Todd Orlando’s hypnotic and ill-timed influence on Applewhite.

1 Like