Will Seniors get an extra year of eligibility?

Extra year to everybody EXCEPT Cumberland!

5 Likes

Chris Harris did not lose a season, he lost a post season. There is a big difference in that and a whole season. I don’t think another season should be given to seniors who played their regular seasons. I know that sports are all important, but the fact is, the main reason for scholarships is to provide an opportunity for an education. Chris will graduate in May, it is time for him to get on with his life. I thank him for his time here and wish him all the best. But this chapter is over.

Now for spring sports that haven’t been able to complete their seasons, that could be an entirely different discussion. Still the primary reason for scholarships is to provide an opportunity for an education. I think people need to put education back in its proper position in colleges and universities.

Maybe this is a great lesson for these young men and women to learn, life isn’t always fair and you just have to deal with it. I would bet that everyone on these board have had to deal with disappointment and turmoil at least once in their lives; I’ve sure had my share.

5 Likes

I generally agree with this. The thing I’ll add is that “that’s life” shouldn’t be a great answer when there are easy fixes, but this isn’t one of them. It’s a burden on the schools to pay for those extra scholarships. It’s a burden on the non-seniors who won’t get to play next year because of all the players coming back. It’s also a burden on players on teams who would have made the tournament next year but lose their spot because a team loaded with fifth year seniors gets it (and coaches who may get fired because of that).

If there was an easy answer I’d support it, and I do think they should have gone ahead and selected the field and circled up in a month or two to see if there was any way to put it on. But the cons seem to outweigh the pros to get a handful of seniors who got a really bad break another shot, and as I said earlier, some of the guys who are on tourney teams this year will be on teams next year that might not make it.

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere that the NCAA is eating the cost on those scholarships for seniors to come back?

2 Likes

How will this bode with incoming recruits? I can see some problems

I hadn’t seen that (but I’m also not fully keeping up with it) but if so that would probably help with back channel support for the idea from a lot of ADs who might otherwise not really want to have to deal with that problem.

The NCAA has addressed spring (Basketball not included) sports:

Spring Sports

The above are listed as spring sports, but the below are the spring championships. A bit confusing, but I would guess all of the below would be included.

Spring Championships

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics

1 Like

He has had 7 extra years. He was a CUSA first teamer, big East first teamer and an aac first teamer. Time for him to retire.

3 Likes

I heard he really wants to play on the same team as his son. Might happen.

5 Likes

There is a younger Cumberland on the team that they are ‘saying’ is his cousin…but we know.

6 Likes

Jaevin Cumberland is his cousin and is a graduate transfer. His playing days are over.

BTW, how many seniors would want to come back for another year to play Lacrosse, Volleyball, Rowing, and other sports where there is no pro league?

This is damn sure going to help our competitors more than us.

1 Like

Another year of Chris Harris would be huge.

3 Likes

why would we not want Chris back for one more ride?

If they give back the year that’s great and it will be great to have Chris for another year.

Honestly, though, I am already worried about chemistry next year given the competition that we’ll have for minutes and taking another 15-20 minutes from the pot will only exacerbate things. Maybe Powell would redshirt if that happens. Or Gresham would transfer. Or maybe even Harris would transfer (whether guys taking another year would be allowed to transfer would be a big question).

Funk is right too. As much as another year of Harris would help us next year, other teams will probably benefit more than we would. Cincy getting both Cumberlands, Tre Scott and a couple of other rotation guys back would drastically change their outlook next season (and they might have a roster with like 20 guys). I’m not super worried about it because we’ll be good either way. However, if you are in favor of this idea because you think it makes us better next year we’ll probably benefit less than a lot of other teams.

Harris might also go ahead and start his pro career overseas or wherever. If a lot of guys do that, then the issues I mentioned wouldn’t be as big of a deal. However, if a lot of guys go ahead and start their pro career/lives anyways, then the point of doing this altogether gets more questionable.

Yes, but basketball is not a spring sport that will get another shot.

Why are y’all talking about basketball? It will not be included.
And no way the Cumberlands would return anyway.

Cumberland the elder is going to the league.We no worry bout him. THANK GOD

He should’ve left after last year. I think this season he was not as effective as prior. Maybe he missed Cronin.

1 Like

I agree. He was super effective last year. I was surprised that he came back.