With all things considered... Is an NY6 out of reach now?

Boise St, UCF, and USF all have more respect and credibility than we do at this point following the Tech loss.

Do we have to win out including a conference championship to get an NY6 invite over Boise State?

Nope. Boise lost as well. Our loss just feels worse, even though their opponent is ranked. To win the conference championship, we’ll have likely beaten the other two teams. Someone like North Texas might sneak in out of CUSA, but we win out and we have a pretty good chance of going, as we will likely have beat a few more ranked teams.

4 Likes

I think we do to have a decent shot, but we will have our opportunity to show that we are better than USF and UCF. Probably need to hope that Boise loses again because their lose is probably not seen as bad as ours. Of course, that will depend on what TTU and OSU do the rest of the season. Need to root for TTU to make the championship game and OSU to fall apart. Neither are good bets. Then there is North TX. They keep winning and it might not matter what we do. Bottom line is that we only control what we do, so we need a singular focus on winning the rest of them. 1 at a time. Can’t worry about things out of our control.

1 Like

All we have to do is run the schedule and win the AAC Championship. We cannot afford another loss and we need the D to step up to convince voters that we aren’t just a offensive team. Despite fan criticism a 63-49 loss wasn’t a 63-19 loss. IMO, the greatest loss wasn’t the game, it was Garrett Davis.

5 Likes

NY6 seems out of reach. Boston college looked good and north texas is beating all their opponents. If we lose to SMU or its close watch north texas sneak into it. We just need to worry about 1-0 because thinking ahead of ourselves just makes losing worse

we were never getting it without the auto-bid (winning the conference)

we are in still in the ny6 race…all the team infront of us in the race are in our own conference

• everyone in our conference we can beat out just by winning the conference

the teams still in it:

• UNT- at this point they might go undefeated but their schedule is really bad. none of their ooc will be bowl eligible, and arkansas losing to bottom feeding mwc team last week stole all the lusterof their arkansas win (only one decent game left, fau)
  • Boise- Blown out by okstate.
  • Sdsu- blown out by stanford, beat a top 25 ASU…how asu looks at the end of the season will decide if they are still in it
  • FAU- obliterated by oklahoma, but still has ucf & unt on the schedule…they could sneak in…if ucf blows them out, its not only removes FAU, but badly hurts unt
  • Bufallo, La Tech and akron are all undefeated “as of now”, but no one actually thinks they are good enough to go undefeated or even be a double digiti win team

long story short, we win out theres a 95% chance we get the ny6…we still controll our own destiny

8 Likes

Our chance at a special season and NY6 left the house when Tech dropped 60 on us - to think that Defense is going to hold to allow us to run the table - including a Championship game - is a rose-colored view for sure.

8 Likes

because of the elite passing offenses we play all season?? we will not see a team who will pass it that much all season, we will not see a team with that kind of pace all season…we will not see another air raid

smu finally abandoned hicks and now has a dual threat qb…meaning their are zero pass first offenses on our schedule (updaate for those not keeping up, memphis runs more than they pass this season, they have an rb doing 180yds a game) …usf. memphis and navy are the only teams left of on schedule who have good offense regardless of run/pass…we could outscore all of them…

if we made it to the CCG and met ucf, that’s a whole different story (ucf would torch us), but if we made it to the ccg that would mean we are just 1 game away from a ny6 and anything can happen…

1 Like

To get NY6 we have to win our conference. Mathematically we can still win our conference. And mathematically Kentucky can win the SEC East. Neither are going to happen. We have Memphis and Navy on the road. We are very inconsistent on the road. Then if we get past that and win division we will probably have to go to Florida and play a really good team, again, on the road.

That’s just how I see things after three games. I hope I’m wrong, but 10 wins is my new goal. We’re just not great on the road. The new offensive scheme is good but it leaves the defense with issues out there longer. I don’t see that changing this year. Again, I hope I’m wrong and will happily admit it if I am.

Not sure if I am following your logic here on Boston College given that they’re in the ACC.

Lots of football left and lots of upsets. This team will be ranked by the time November gets here 8-1. One game at a time. Go Coogs !

6 Likes

You’re right I meant byu Boston college is a good team thought which is why I brought them up.

BYU has one loss and is not guaranteed the auto bid. They are not a part of the CFP

1 Like

In short no it isn’t out of reach. Because the CFP committee is a joke and base all their decisions on the which way the wind blows. Basically they do whatever they want and would probably call that a “quality loss” because the rest of the g5 is soooo inferior.

2 Likes

We are still in it, but we woud have to win out.

It would take a miraculous turnaround on defense to even make the AAC Championship. We literally have the worst defense I’ve seen in my entire life.

3 Likes

Yeah, 129 out of 135 is probably the worst defense you or I have ever seen.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve seen worse, but I don’t want to really think about it.

If we win out we go to a NY6 bowl. It’s the Ed Oliver effect. It makes for good national interest.

Definitely not. The AAC champion will have the best shot at the NY6 berth in most years, and that is still in front of us. There is too much talent on this defense to not show improvement as the season moves along. Losing Garrett Davis is a huge blow, would be really nice if Collin Wilder was still here, but we’ve got a lot of talented guys on D. We will not face a passing attack that potent until probably Memphis.

Right now, the fly in the ointment for the AAC could be North Texas. They could very well cruise undefeated into a big showdown with FAU in November, with a road P5 win under their belt.

1 Like