Would we give Bryson a shot?

if the QB room isn’t full, we are doing something very wrong. Maybe Smith wants to be just a receiver.::but I doubt that.

1 Like

It’s not like he hasn’t gotten looks at QB since he’s been here, so he’s gotten “a shot”. It doesn’t seem like he’s really caught on at QB, but I’m sure he’ll get another look - it will be up to him to show something.

1 Like

What makes you think Bryson even wants to play quarterback? From what I have read and heard he is content playing receiver…and let’s face it, the few times he has gone under center he really has not looked that good…remember the Navy game a couple of years ago?
And suggesting he enter the portal because you would perhaps shows he is of great character…Go Coogs…

2 Likes

Jared Lorenzen approves.

3 Likes

I had forgotten about Jared. Then I googled him and found out he’s dead. Sad way to start my morning.

I don’t and if he doesn’t he shouldn’t be forced to but those (not you 16) that are saying he’s been given a fair shot at QB already that’s just not true. JD politely grilled CDH for several weeks on this and every time (paraphrasing) “Bryson is not a full time QB for us. He does not spend the majority of his time as a QB in the rooms or on the practice field.”

I’ll admit he had some turnover issues as QB at the end of the season, the one against Navy was a top 5 moment that decided the game we were driving.

But these examples are just one play roulette garbage and that’s not what this thread is about. This thread is about should Bryson be given a shot at winning the QB job like Ward and King had before him. That has not happened.

Bryson is not a good wildcat QB in my opinion. He goes down too easy running between the tackles. I like the idea of running some wildcat this year but think Mulbah or Stuard (latter not gonna happen) are better in that role.

2 Likes

I’m all for Bryson Smith going out for the QB spot this Spring if that is what he feels is in his best interest. But if you are the coach, you have to decide where to put your players to get the most out of them and if the coaching staff feels Clayton Tune is the overwhelming favorite to win the QB job then it makes you cringe seeing Bryson potentially spend his Junior and Senior season as a back up quarterback rather than being out there on the field catching touchdowns and running punts back to the house as Bryson has done for the team in the recent years. I guess what I’m saying is there is an opportunity cost if Bryson spends the spring in the quarterback room and subsequently loses reps at wide receiver among a very competitive group of returners in Stevenson, Corbin, Singleton, and Bradley.

2 Likes

Solid Thread and discussion!

1 Like