Wow Texas Monthly

Nice piece by Justice. Though a UT dude, I think he’s had a soft spot for UH over the years…

From the article: "“We may never know why UH wasn’t invited to join the Big 12 all those years ago…”

I think he fully knows the reasons why…he just doesn’t feel it necessary at this point to expose and state the ugly truth.

1 Like

Agree. We should look after our own interests. Let others worry about theirs. Let’s continue to build and keep moving forward and upward. We should never stay in place.

We all know the reason. UT, Ann Richard and Bob Bullock.

Wrong

1 Like

If California can support I think something like 7 tier 1 universities surely Texas can find the funds for 4 and possibly more if they have done the work to upgrade their standing.

2 Likes

True

I applaud him for coming out with this piece. He did not have to. This is courageous of him and could easily backfire. Richard has “stones” the size of…TEXAS.

6 Likes

Hah. Dicky J’s been trolling for years.

1 Like

Well Tillman, that was money well spent.

I remember Richard Justice standing up for the Coogs when the Bonghorn fans were making nasty comments about the Coogs in the Chron’s comment section after a football game loss. He even used a couple of the statements that I have made against the Bonghorns to attack them, which really put a big smile on my face! I was extremely pleasantly surprised that he would stand up for the Coogs like he did given the fact that most of the Chron’s writers tended to be negative towards the Coogs and moreover he is a UT grad!

I think Richard understood the importance of keeping UH strong and respectable for the city of Houston’s sake. He sees things in a far-sighted way and not falling for the attacks and fighting that usually come with in-school rivalries. The last I’ve heard from him was when he announced he was leaving the Chron to pursue a career with some newspaper in northern California, somewhere near San Fran I think. He was one of the best writers for the Chron while he was there. Him and Steve Campbell were always my favorite Chron writers.

After he left the Chronicle, he went to work and write for MLB and stayed there for numerous years. Recently retired from MLB and has been doing writing pcs for Texas Monthlyfor last year or so. He has maintained his Hou area residency throughout this time.

I didn’t remember the MLB part, but I do remember the newspaper part in northern Cali. Maybe he worked in Cali for a year or two and then took the MLB job. Who knows? Anything is possible. It has probably been 14 years when he left the Chron.

Richard Justice is a sellout. He helped Bud Selig and the corrupt MLB move the Astros from the National league to the American League. I won’t ever forget that.

I didn’t read the Texas Monthly article.

Well so much for Richard Justice. Coog93 let us know who he really is. Alrighty :roll_eyes:

kind of a weak reply coogman93. thanks for your input, it was so helpful

1 Like

Talking about ruining a positive thread. Those are far n few btw. Oh well.

Edit: and as someone who went to his first Astros game in 1967 and followed the Team as closely as you can since then , I’ll just keep thoughts to myself on the Richard Justice comment from Coog93. Whew.

Didn’t mean to throw shade on your positive thread. His name evokes bad memories for me. I’ve been an Astros fan longer than a UH alum. You can have your own opinions. I’ll have mine.

Let’s see, when the Stros moved to the AL they won a World Series, but how many World Series did they won in the 40 something years they were with the NL? Case closed.

1 Like

Great article. But it makes me wonder… Hey, Houston Chronicle, why don’t you publish more pieces like this? This is a positive article that is also based on fact.

No one’s (not me anyway) asking you (the Houston Chronicle writers) to sacrifice any journalistic integrity when writing articles about UH; so, why not write a few more frequent, positive, fact-based articles than you already publish?

With your (the Chronicle’s) support, we may have been in the Big12 (or another P5 conference) long ago. Plus, would it hurt you if you got a few more subscriptions and clicks from more UH Alumni and Fans?

Anyway, thank you, Texas Monthly.

2 Likes

The switch to the AL has been awesome for the Astros.

5 Likes