Wright Named to College Football Hall of Fame - University of Houston Athletics

Way, way, way overdue!

9 Likes

Indeed! Similar to how long it took for them to put Guy V. Lewis in the Basketball Hall of Shame!

3 Likes

Ridiculous this has taken so long…
Belated Congratulations !!!

2 Likes

This was his last year of eligibility. He would’ve had to be the veteran committee selection in subsequent years.

2 Likes

That’s great for Elmo and great for UH. Congratulations!

1 Like

Glad to finally have some good news today. One of the best college receivers I have seen. Could he ever stretch a defense. And he could’ve played in the marching band if we had needed him to.
The only thing about Elmo, in retrospect, is I wished he hadn’t invented the end zone celebration.

Well, the celebrations after him at least. People like to copy Billy “White Shoes” Johnson’s version, though.

As much as I enjoyed watching him score touchdowns, the one thing I remember more, after over 50 years ago, is watching him do his end zone dance. I can still see him now in my memory dancing (pumping his legs up and down) after scoring a touchdown in the end zone.

I still remember watching him as a kid. He would be streaking, and once the ball was in the air, literally everyone in the stands would jump to their feet, because everyone knew it would be a touchdown…

Rare to this day to have such an electrifying talent on the field…he was Deon Sanders before Deon Sanders…

We were there in The Dome for his very first game in 1968. He was electric! If he played in today’s modern passing game offenses Elmo would be unbelievable

2 Likes

What? Nonsense.

I could be wrong, but I believe the end zone dance began with Elmo Wright.

It was cool in 1968 and it has grown in popularity ever since.

1 Like