XFL - done?

Was in in the sequined suit and spinning the baton ?..that was a sight

1 Like

Wow, never knew that…damn, learned something new today…time for a beer :grinning:

1 Like

Do you have any documentary should that. I always read that UH only had intramural sports befoe1946. Where did they play?

Here’s an article about the 1936 UH hockey team.

It had a cross-town rivalry with Rice.

https://weblogs.lib.uh.edu/speccol/2014/04/14/college-ice-hockey-in-texas/

1 Like

2 Likes

My father in law (deceased) was the first one to ever tell me about the hockey team. As a kid, he went to some of the games. He said they sometimes played at the Sam Houston Coliseum after it was built, but usually played at a smaller rink that no longer exists. He told me the name of it, but I can’t remember.

2 Likes

Thank you and Ryon for that information. I had never heard that before and learned something new, actually old.

1 Like

@pray10 dropped this about four years ago…pretty cool looking stuff…

1 Like

McMahon is bleeding money with the shutdown nationwide on the WWE side. He owns such a huge chunk of it and it is not doing well on the business side. It was already starting to get stung by the new AEW and their brand of wrestling. He sank a chunk of change in te new XFL and if covid would have been treated like the bad flu it is, it would have been a great second league because the silly shenanigans of the original XFL were gone and this was a place for practice squad guys to play after teir practice squad time was expired. You can only practice squad for 3 years so this was a great place to show your talent if you were burried on a practice squad with limited tape in real action for the other 31 NFL teams.

1 Like

I saw him at splashtown when I was a teenager but he acted like it wasn’t him. We understood and left him alone.

His son played at Straie Jesuit for awhile when I was in high school. He was in the bleachers and a few of us went over and asked, “Calvin Murphy, can we get your autograph?” To which he said, “it is Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy, and no.”

His son was a back up and later transferred. Great squad. jake Voscul (sp) was just starting to figure out how to play as a seven footer and was averaging a triple double.

Don’t get me started on that Strake team

That was the Fort Bend ISD all-stars as they raided the district for their best talent

If anyone at the time would’ve bet Jake would’ve had the longest and most productive basketball career they would’ve been laughed at lol

Sounds like an arrogant jerk, and I don’t mean about not giving the autograph; it’s the HOT bit.

Dang never would’ve thought of him to be that kind of a dick.

You might want to google his court proceedings…maybe the worst father ever. Allegedly.

2 Likes

Yikes! I totally remember that now that’s why he originally got booted from his play by play duties with bill worrell.

Didn’t they make it up?

But knowing folks from his younger days he wasn’t one to play with when it came to his kids. The stories I heard was rough lol

@MarkBermanFox26. 25m
Another sign that if the XFL is resurrected the league could continue to have a franchise in Houston. According to sources with knowledge of the talks between @UHCougars officials and XFL representatives,

XFL

1 Like

This sounds like VERY good news…

They had a kid named LeBlanc I believe. He was ridiculously good. We had a couple of good players on our little team and took them to OT one game. We had a kid that was maybe 6 ft tall that could jump out of the gym. He later played safety for UH.

His biggest play was a severe halo violation at Tennessee when we were losing by a thousand points.