"You really take it personally," Pez talks State of UH Athletics

3 Likes

Great article

1 Like

That’s an eye opening article. Obviously Pez is one of, if not the most proactive AD’s we’ve had since Harry Fouke. I like the things he is doing and how he is so approachable and honest in answering questions one on one. I’m confiodent we will have him long term and our athletic department is in very good hands.

5 Likes

Pez made a huge impression on me right from the start. He was hired and first appeared on the scene for me as I got back to the parking lot at TDECU Stadium from the TSU Basketball Arena one night. As I got off the bus, there was Pez standing on the sidewalk, thanking everyone getting off the bus for just going to the game! Believe me - none of the other AD’s before him would have done that - except maybe Harry Fouke!

7 Likes

Uncle Dave might have but I like the ones that don’t act like a VP: too good for the base.

1 Like

“Part of our deal with the XFL is they are helping us address Wi-Fi in the lower bowl of TDECU Stadium, which has been a major issue for our fans.”

So let it be written; so let it be done.

5 Likes

We are in great hands with PEZ…as an OOT Coog, I tend to focus on every little word or twist, as I just don’t get the 24/7 feed that locals get…
I have been super impressed with Pez, he has fire in his belly and bleeds Cougar Red like all of us. Having stability at AD is Omni important, along with RK, the Board, all working together with common goals.
Harry Fouke was an ALL World AD. He hired 4 Hall of Fame Coaches in 4 different sports.

I think Pez has a chance to be that guy. Our future is very bright…
Go Coogs !!!

4 Likes

Seems like he is always at a Coog event, saw him here in Dallas at an SMU/UH basketball game, great guy, great Cougar.

1 Like

I always liked Dave . . . he looked at an impossible situation and never gave up trying to make it better.

6 Likes

Indeed, he was; in fact, we would not even have an athletic department if it were not for the leadership of Harry Fouke. And yet, they tore down the one building that had been named for him, and built another one which they refuse to name after him! Does that show proper respect and appreciation? I think not!

6 Likes

His comments about the food vendor lack credibility.

Crud, I’d forgotten about the food this past season. Bummer memory

There’s a reason that I used “since Harry Fouke” in my post. Harry Fouke is the foundation of the UH athletic department and it will take a whole lot for a very long time for anyone to even come close to what he meant for UH athletics. He did so much with so little that I just can’t figure out how he did it. He must have had super powers.

4 Likes

Now that you mention it…that building IS gone. I hadn’t even thought about that, and that is CRIMINAL not to have something else named after him. GOAT.

It is my understanding that he needed a golf coach, and went to Dave Williams, who was a professor (math or history, something like that)…and said “Hey, you need to be our new golf coach…”

16 nattys later…you just cannot make this up.
Absolutely. Amazing…

1 Like

Dave Williams was a chemistry prof. He and Fouke were playing a round and Williams told Fouke they should have a golf team. Fouke told him if you will coach it we will. The rest is history.

Back in the early 80’s we had some fund raising teams and I was talking with Jim Gammage and Willie Burns when Dave Williams stopped by for a few minutes and they got to talking andthat’s the story that was told. I swear Gammage and Burns must have known everybody in UH sports well. Those were some really good Coog supporters and I miss them. I was a younger guy then and they just kind of took me under their wings and we had some good times.

2 Likes

Same here. Surprised to meet him as we stepped off of the bus. . . . .

I didn’t know Jim, but Willie was at every single game I went to, and we are talking hundreds of (if not a thousand) games. A finer Cougar (and his wife) you will never know…
I’m 62, and my Dad started taking me to games when I was little…I remember one at Delmar…so I have grown up around lots of guys who are now in their 80’s…guys who paved the road for all of us.
Sadly a good number of them are no longer with us, and it is a very long list of True Cougar Faithful…

Pretty awesome about the changing turf in TDECU for each game.