1/21/19 - 1/27/19 Games of Interest

Getting the thread for this week started.

Two teams ranked ahead of us lost last night (#13 Maryland and #10 Virginia Tech), but both lost to other teams ranked ahead of us (#6 Michigan State and #11 UNC), so I wouldn’t expect much movement unless those teams lose again this week.

Baylor whacked West Virginia in Morgantown just a few days after West Virginia beat Texas Tech. Neither of those teams are very good record-wise, but Baylor has been playing really good basketball lately and the Big 12 continues to cannibalize itself.

South Florida is a 2.5 point favorite at home tonight against Wichita State, who should be really pissed off about how they lost to Cincy this weekend.

There are several teams ranked ahead of us in action tonight, but none seem to be particularly compelling (to me) except for how it might help us move up in the rankings if they lose.

1 Like

I don’t have the brain power to figure this out. Do we care who wins between USF and Wichita State tonight?

2 Likes

South Carolina knocks off #16 Auburn

1 Like

#13 Texas Tech getting whipped and #14 Buffalo losing at the half by 6

1 Like

Tech loses to K-state

2 Likes

Tech scored all of 45 points and lost by 13. Didn’t we have a poster state that Tech would run us out of the gym?

2 Likes

We play USF twice and Wichita State just once, so it gives us a teeny tiny boost if USF finishes ahead of Wichita State. The best thing for the conference is if, here on out, the top 5 (Houston, Cincy, UCF, Temple and Memphis) only lose to each other making a stronger push for 4 teams to go from the 6th best conference.

7 Likes

Down goes #14 Buffalo to Northern Illinois. That win brings NIU up to 11-8, so I’m guessing that loss is going to sting Buffalo a bit.

1 Like

#20 Ole Miss is getting absolutely worked over at Alabama.

1 Like

Alabama may just be a legit team this year. They’ve already knocked off Kentucky and almost knocked off Tennessee.

2 Likes

#13,14,16 all take an ‘L’ tonight. Coogs need to go 2-0 this week n should be at least Top 12!

2 Likes

I will only raise my hand for saying that Tech would win the Big XII and that I did not want UH to face Tech. In all fairness, I followed it up later saying Tech was making me look like the clueless person that I am.

I never would have said Tech would run UH out of the gym. This I know because the way this UH team plays defense and with the depth, they will always have a shot in any game against any team [in my humblest and possibly clueless opinion].

2 Likes

USF takes care of the Shockers. WSU scores only 41 points? Key stat: only 48 fouls. AAC refs keeping it just over 1 per minute. Woohoo!

Problem is they had some not so good losses.
Lost at Home to GaST, Northeastern, A&M. Also to UCF. They’re like 11-6 so be tough to get in at moment w their resume so far.

More on USF vs WSU:
WSU shot 9 of 22 at the FT line and 2 for 18 from 3!
Both teams had 15 FG each and neither shot above 30% from the field for the game.

That’s why I said losing to Wichita State even in their arena hurts a tourney teams resume when it comes to seeding or even getting in. They are in a rebuilding year and only average to bad teams should lose to them this year.

1 Like

I’m late, thanks @2002Coog for kicking it off this week

Schedule for the week (Times are Eastern)

1 Like

Buffalo has always been fools gold and I’m not sure why they have been ranked ahead of us. Only 4 (FOUR!!!) of their wins have come against teams who currently have a winning record and one of those is Dartmouth who mostly has a lot of wins vs ivy league teams. Until tonight their only loss was to Marquette which is fine but literally their best win is against 13-5 Syracuse. BTW we have 10 wins vs teams that currently have a winning record including a currently ranked LSU team

Gary said they would run us out of the gym.

https://twitter.com/American_MBB/status/1087922881898651648