12 for 12 Series Part 1: Houston Cougars

Nice piece about UH.joining the future B12…

11 Likes

Wow, absolutely GREAT read, Prowl…Thanks so much!!!

6 Likes

Really great read.

Was a little confused though…the writer mentions UH being in the SWC from 1972-1996. I know football didn’t start SWC play until 1976, but were there other sports that started earlier?

Yes, we had to wait 5 years to compete in football and basketball. The idea was that the 5 years would allow the rest of the conference to catch up to us in basketball and the 5 years would allow the other schools to out recruit us in football.

9 Likes

Ok thanks.

How did the other sports perform in those first few years in the conference?

They made no impression on me so probably so so. Back then only football, basketball, and baseball mattered an football mattered more than all the others combined.

Thanks Oldtime…my first memory of UH sports was going to the Bluebonnet Bowl against NC State at the end of the '74 season, but nothing else until the fall of 1976. Thanks again.

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

In 1975 our football team went 2-8.

From the article ‘As the older folks know, Houston was once a conference mate of the Bears, competing against us in the Southwest Conference from 1972 to 1996. After the SWC broke up’

First, this is a question, not being antagonistic to the author. While I know the Coogs started playing football in the SWC in 1976. Saw it with my own eyes :eyes:. Was there any UH competition in the SWC as a member in any sport prior to 1976?

Thanks Joe- Goodbye!

See @OldtimeCoog’s first post above.

Glad he was able to include a dig on Memphis. Lol

1 Like

All sports other than football and basketball were in the SWC. As I remember the men’s tennis team finished 7th in the NCAA Championship in 1972, for example.

1 Like

Our first SWC football win was in Waco

1 Like

The comments section is dripping with arrogance. Can’t wait to have our teams put massive beat downs on those clowns.

Meh, I’ve seen far more arrogance from Baylor fans before. I think the near death experience they recently had with the potential breakup of the B12 and zero suitors really affirmed that they could not stand outside their conference affiliation. They still believe that they “qualified” for the B12 in the old days because they beat us in football.

I also cannot wait to avenge the F4 beat down.

1 Like

That was also our first SWC game.