2021 Opponent - Tulane

I don’t think Fritz would jump at this, but he is known to hop jobs when there is a chance to move up. Kansas is a coaching graveyard though.

1 Like

I don’t think KU is a step up for any FBS team head coach. Any assistant coach should also think twice about that gig; it isn’t a resume builder. On the other hand, any coach that could get them to a 6-6 or 7-5 record most years would have a statue erected and life long employment.

@H-Town
He’s from Kansas. That’s where he was Coaching b4 moving to SHSU where he Coached in two back/back D1–AA CShips gms. Of course NDST was in the way.
I forget the sm college he Coached at…Will look it up.

Edit: I didn’t realize it mentioned in article he was from KS. Shawnee KS

1 Like

I didn’t know that. I knew his rise really began at SHSU, but didn’t know he was from there. Look, if he can get Tulane to where they are, I bet he could get Kansas to the occasional bowl game more years than not. He is an excellent coach.

2 Likes

He Coached at Central Missouri for like 12 yrs b4 coming to Huntsville and leading the BearKats to some very good years. I agree w you, he’s a very good coach n one of his greatest strengths is his ability to adjust w whatever he has in front of him as a skill set.

1 Like

People said the same about Baylor for years

Money matters. If I were in Willie’s shoes, I’d make some crazy a$$ demands and if Kansas agreed to 90% of them I’d jump in a heartbeat.

…new offensive coordinator Chip Long bringing a more up-tempo pace to Tulane, physically, the players have had to work as hard as ever to adjust. But it’s been especially tough at receiver, where the Green Wave are down several key players in and out of practice to injury.

So is Tulane and he got it turned around.

The All Blues…

I don’t understand with such great stats and Memphis being a much better team, why he would transfer?

1 Like

He is from Spring. Maybe closer to home.

2 Likes

Maybe he likes Louisiana French and Creole cooking more than Memphis dry rub bar b que.

3 Likes

I know I would prefer it.

2 Likes

Being born in Lake Charles, raised mostly in Baton Rouge, and my grandmother being pure Cajun, I was raised on South Louisiana cooking, which I certainly prefer.

4 Likes

October 7 - Houston

NCAA Football: Tulane at HoustonMaria Lysaker-USA TODAY Sports

A Thursday night tradition fitting for a primetime slot; that’s what Tulane v Houston has become as of late and this year will be no different. Under the ESPN lights to start October, the Coogs come to town for the first time since the game of the year happened in 2019. No more D’Eriq King but that’s not necessarily a problem for junior Clayton Tune who is coming off his best season in nearly every statistical passing category.

Joining him will be running back Mulbah Car. Car looks to take over the lead RB position this fall after Kyle Porter’s departure but after only carrying 52 times last fall for not even 200 yards we have yet to see what he can do as the featured guy.

Through the air, however, is where Houston looks to do its damage. The Cougars like to run a four-receiver set and this year it will feature guys like Jeremy Singleton, Bryson Smith and Nathaniel Dell amongst others. Dell led the team in receptions (29) and yards (428) last year and while the dynamic Marquez Stevenson is gone, this corps is complimented by a versatile tight end in Christian Trahan. Another tall task awaits the Green Wave DBs.

Despite all the offensive power, though, Tulane ought to be most concerned with the Cougars’ special teams and, more specifically, Marcus Jones. Last season Jones led the AAC in punt return average (19.7 yards per return), total punt return yards (337) and was one of only two players in the conference to register a punt return touchdown. The bad news for the Wave is that he’s just as scary on kickoffs as well. Jones averaged 20.4 yards per kick return in 2020. One big key for hanging with Houston will be avoiding special teams collapses and keeping the ball away from Jones will go a long way.

The Prediction: The Yulman crowd is going to be fired up and Tulane’s defense is going to feed off that energy. Much like they did last year the D will force early Houston mistakes to give the Wave an advantage. Unlike last year, however, Michael Pratt and the offense will be able to hold onto the lead and edge it out. Don’t get it wrong, the Cougars will fight hard in this game and stay uncomfortably close all night but a long, calculated drive featuring many totes from Cameron Carroll will put them away and Tulane will get their revenge from last fall.

Final: Tulane 30 - Houston 24

1 Like

He also won a national championship at Blinn.

So Tulane is hosting Oklahoma to start the season. They are playing at Yulman and didn’t sell out and move the game to the Superdome. Must be nice.