A Big Boom Is Coming Soon

position? defense or offense?

Defense

3 Likes

Here we go again

Worst waiting game since Yeoman

Depends how much money the SEC schools have in their NIL budget.

3 Likes

We have to pony up with $$$$ or we will be left behind, we are already way behind in many things as we join the big 12 anyway

Direct distributions from the California schools will be next. Who knows where that leads?

Need some big booms!

1 Like

So, we’re close to these athletes becoming professionals. At that point what is to keep them from signing as a free agent with a pro team?

You could say NFL rules. But if its just the age factor then they could still sign agead of time and keep playing in college.

The NFL’s rules would still forbid signing with a team before you’re draft-eligible even if you don’t play.

Just as a comparison one of the lower end SEC schools in Ole Miss claims to have $10 million raised for just this year for their collective. Who knows how much Florida, Tennessee, Auburn have raised up.

I know. But what is draft eligible if you’re already a professional?

NFL has a rule to draft only if you’re 3 years out of highschool

I bet this type of thing happens more often than we know, we just don’t hear about it. We’re now in competition against schools that we wouldn’t have a chance against even one year ago. I don’t fret about what might have been, I look at what we have and we have one of the better classes recently to have come through recruiting-wise.

As long as they were just student athletes, calling them out for bad play was prohibited. Once they become professional athletes playing on a college team, I am not so sure I still support handling them with kid gloves.

4 Likes

I can see that. It’s hard to fault criticizing someone by name when they’re literally getting paid for “name, image and likeness.”

Besides, it’s not that hard to recognize that someone is doing their best while also criticizing performance. What is never OK is the dog-piling and personal attacks that can go along with that. Criticism goes with the territory, but that other stuff is unacceptable, imo.

2 Likes

I can go along with not getting nasty or abusive, but my stance about players in the past has been if you can’t say anything good about them don’t say anything. I may not be so reticent to say that player X can’t catch and needs to change from WR to DB or something similar.

3 Likes

If college players are going to become professional, can Case re-enroll and be our QB1 for the next ten years???

3 Likes

The Draft (or the Supplemental Draft) is the only means a player has of entry into the NFL. It doesn’t matter if they’re “already a professional” – even if they’re in the CFL or XFL or wherever else, players still have to enter the NFL Draft.

These threads are merely tools to teach the youth patience and toughen their skins a little.

2 Likes