A bit of reason

He is overpaid considering the position he was in at WVU and the writing on the wall with regards to his future employment there. I didn’t think any other P5 teams would offer near as much as we did for his services.

Hopefully he lives up to the pay and I should know by 3/4 through this season.

2 Likes

Dang everyone seems to giving up already…we played well against fairly well against a national title contender and now folks wanna give up that season is a lost cause! I’m confident we’ll see a real offense going forward. As for the defense we’re just not quite there yet and that is gonna take some time.

3 Likes

Sumlin level will be upsetting. Sumlin beat first 5 P5, then it seem, he wanted to just leave. Southern Miss is all I remember, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Sumlin has proven he can win with other-wordly QBs (Keenum and Manziel). But, stick him with just a good QB and all you get is disappointment.

What is your definition for success in Conference if UH was added to the Big XII? 33-30 does not scream greatness but factor in 0-7 vs OU [mostly Stoops], 3-4 vs TCU and 4-3 vs. UT. He struggled with Ok State though at 2-5.

If he can avoid the losses to SMU, Tulsa, UConn that inevitably seem to happen to UH and only lose to the better teams in the AAC, this is the stable performance this program needs for the next 4 to 5 years.

We are seeing what happens when you roll through coaches every 2 to 3 seasons. I don’t know if he is the answer but I like the bet they made.

2 Likes

I think the point everyone is making is that “fairly well” isn’t good enough for what we are paying.

We are paying him to win the big games, not just avoid bad losses.

To both of these comments, I am not saying he has to win them this year, but people are acting like he can only do one of “build for the future” and “win now”. It is completely possible to both of those things at the same time.

Mainly, I am just looking for more significant improvement game-to-game. We will see if that materializes with Wazzu.

3 Likes

Yes, some might see him as being overpaid given his prior record in the Big 12. However, he is still an upgrade of a coach (staff included) from what we had and a pretty good coach overall. We paid big not only for his coaching talents, but also for his experience and…for him to STAY here for the foreseeable future. That’s why you pay big salaries, you want them to STAY. Consistency is clearly something that is necessary to achieve sustainable success. Otherwise it’s a flash in the pan. The future is bright, and I believe we have yet to see what this offense can do.
Now let’s go effing win the game on Friday. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

My point was only to avoid the bad losses. I am not willing to accept no big wins but I was not commenting on those. Losses like Herman’s SMU / UConn, Applewhite’s SMU / Tulsa / Army, Levine’s UTSA / Texas St / La Tech / SMU / Tulsa , etc tarnish the brand too much and this is a critical phase if you believe realignment happens sometime around when Dana’s first contract ends.

I understand that you don’t like the Holgerson hire. I was not opposed to it and was impressed that UH could pony up the budget to afford him and his staff. I don’t know if he will be the answer but I am willing to wait longer than two games to pass judgment on the hire. If Major did not need to replace his OC (departed) and DC (fired), I could see him returning for Year 3 as HC. There is no guarantee the OC replacement for Major would be a good fit for King.

From my perspective, Dana needs to be at 2-2 or better after the Tulane game and no worse than 5-3 after the Thursday night game with SMU. If none of the losses are to Tulane, North Texas, Tulsa or UConn, then:

Good: 8-4 or better
Avg: 7-5
Bad: 6-6 or worse

1 Like

If we lose 6 games this team will be in big trouble next year.

2 Likes

I think CDH was a good hire, although I dont know how well he’ll do.

But I get tired of the hung in effigy argument. If CDH wins 7 games this year, 2 games next year, 2 games in 2021, and starts 1-4 in 2022, how much patience will you have? That’s what Yeoman did before being hung in effigy

1 Like

I agree with you that the constant turnover has really hurt the roster. Stability in the HCs office should help that. If UH were added to the Big 12 coming from the AAC there would be a 2-3 year transition where I wouldn’t expect a .500 record in conference. A trajectory like or slightly less successful than TCU had would be on the higher end of my expectations. WVU was coming from a BCS league and had the financial resources to compete right away.

In the AAC I also agree with you that if he can consistently beat the weak sisters, 3rd place would be a down year. UH has a better natural recruiting base than anybody other than the Florida schools in the AAC and also has more tradition.

I won’t hang Dana in effigy but, if he wins only 11 games over the first three seasons, the entire football program could be the one hung. UH cannot afford for that to happen at this critical junction in college football. Big difference between Yeoman’s time and Dana’s - this is about getting into the Billionaire Boys Club…

2 Likes

I too think CDH was a good hire, and don’t know how well he’ll do. I had hoped we would look a bit better than we have in the first 2 games. CBY pointed out that it’s tough being a Cougar and he was right. I have been through many highs and lows both in football and basketball. When I brought up the effigy hanging of CBY, I was attempting to point out that things can get better. I was there that night and thought at the time CBY was doomed. I am very glad to say I was wrong. Because of the trails blazed by CBY and Guy Lewis and their teams UH buried the cougar high moniker deep in the ground. UH has since risen and fallen at times and I am very encouraged by the progress we have made in recent years but their has been some toe stubbing. To answer your question about how much patience will I have…I dunno. I certainly grew disgusted with the recent downward death spiral of the football program. I also now believe that trend is being reversed. Only time will tell.

2 Likes

My point was being a P5 coach with a .500ish record that grows some roots at UH might translate into a successful AAC program. It’s not like he was .500 in CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt.

We are in rare territory where we are trying to translate P5 level success into AAC success. Briles, Sumlin and Herman are a mixed bag going the other direction.

1 Like

He never at WV was able to get acquire more talent than the teams in the Big 12. Here we should out recruit just about everybody not named Cincinnati, Memphis, and UCF. So it’ll be interesting to see how he does when he is not at such a talent disadvantage in the AAC

2 Likes

Lyin Tom Herman

My favorite sports moniker of all time.

I agree that it’s going to take time for Dana to get the type of team he wants. He inherited some Major issues (pun intended) that need to be sorted out. That being said, it will not surprise me if this team goes 7-5 or even 6-6. They just don’t have the playmakers on defense and the offense is very much a work in progress that will get better each game.

Many of the decent computers have us at 6-6 or 7-5 this year. As long as we have a QB next year, we should be better because we will have a better defense.

I truly hope so because there are a ton of unproven guys on offense that will have to score points to keep up in this league. I think this year will still be an indication about how good we will be next year. I can see 7-5, but I need people to explain their predictions for a 6th loss. I can’t see that.

Edit: I hope I’m wrong but the loses could be:

-OU
-Wazzu
-Cincy
-UCF
-Memphis.

CDH is just a more expensive version of Major Applewhite.