A Chart Showing Conference Brand Values

I’m surprised BYU is so low and Miss State so high. Not even that many people in
that state.

Being in the SEC does wonders for a school’s “brand value,” and being without a conference TV deal does wonders to hurt it!

How do they even quantify brand value that way. Also if that’s true then all the PAC schools are better than B12. But perception wise and conference wise they’re not more valuable. Because they will essentially die if they stay put. But now the question these guys in the B12 office are asking themselves same and BIG and pac is, will they make more money being in the B12 and how much more.

Ive seen 2 very contradicting charts over payout.

I heard Lopez-Negrete spoke on brand value about eight years ago. I always think of that presentation when I pass them on Richmond. Interesting. They both affirmed that dollar brand value is nearly impossible to quantify short of head-to-head comparison with a competitor. They were actually advocating that companies and people should always compete with competitors straight up as frequently as possible to gauge brand value vs market competition. Even more interesting, they showed where direct comparison between companies and products render an “almost perfect” and immediate ratio of brand value.

They gave the example of Inca Cola sold in Trujillo, Peru. Inca Cola dominates sales in that market. But when compared with Coca-Cola on a head-to-head basis Coca-Cola is favored by almost 6-1. Their point was Coca-Cola was the dominant brand because head-to-head never lies. But they were doing an abysmal job of marketing in that territory. And letting someone beat you when they have a lower brand value is a cardinal sin in business management.

Not sure how that applies here. But they seemed to think you can build your brand if you have the balls and energy.

2 Likes

I just feel like all of this is relative. What if these schools were forced to be in a conference that was purposely branded as a “non power” conference and receive minuscule dollars for a decade plus? Would their fans continue to show up? Would their games take on much meaning? Would they be put on primetime tv? Too say this school is worth “this” and that school is worth “that” is relative to me. Say Oregon is forced into MWC for a decade, I bet they turn into what Nebraska has become but with significantly less money. It’s all relative to me.

P.S.- UHLaw, you said you’re a Big Ten fan, right?

2 Likes

UH needs to rebrand color-wise. There are countless team with red and white as their colors. We need a third color to help us stand out. For example, Ohio State has silver as their third color, which separates them from all the others.

It would absolutely hurt us because we didn’t have a method of growing our brand. We were in some kind of “brand Faraday cage” in CUSA. I’m surprised we lived thtough it.

To recap:

• The Pac-12 is much more valuable than the Big 12
  • Washington is the most valuable Pac-12 team by a mile, followed by Oregon.
  • Kansas State is within spitting distance of UCLA and closer to USC than they are to Kansas. Iowa State is closer to UCLA than UCLA is to Washington.
  • Oklahoma State, K-State, and Texas Tech would be more valuable than about half of the Pac-12 even prior to losing UCLA and USC.
  • The least valuable P5 program is WVU, followed by Rutgers and then… Duke, which has a logo seen from coast to coast. But less valuable than Wake Forest.
  • Chart has little predictive power when it comes to conference realignment.
    – Oregon and Washington have been expressly declared as being comparatively non-valuable compared to USC and UCLA.
    – WVU was selected to the Big 12 over a school with 2.5x its value.
    – Nobody expects NC State to get selected anywhere ahead of Duke or UNC.
    – Nobody believes Virginia Tech is is likely to go ahead of Virginia despite being 2x the value.
    – Nobody puts Syracuse in front of Pitt. Kansas probably isn’t going anywhere but K-State sure as heck isn’t.
    – Who would rate Arizona State’s brand as being roughly equal to that of Clemson and slightly ahead of Florida State?

On what basis is this information useful in any practical sense when it comes to realignment or conference value.

4 Likes

“Mizzouri”? …sounds legit.

This does seem to make a great case for stability in pac-12… good find.

Imagine if rumored UH + 3 b12 had gone to pac last year how much more stable it would have been than b12 / aac.

3 Likes

I have a Master’s degree from a B1G school (Illinois), so I follow the B1G and Illinois with some interest, but with FAR LESS interest than my beloved Coogs.

Illinois has, really since the days of Red Grange, and certainly since the days of Butkus, been a perennial B1G doormat.

Just one more losing season this year, and Illinois will be an all-time sub-.500 program.

Even a Super Bowl caliber coach like Lovie Smith couldn’t win there.

2 Likes

You mean like when we added blue to the logo? Hard pass.

Red and White interlocking UH forever!

2 Likes

Is “Brand Value” anything like “Carbon Credits” ?

2 Likes

This is why, in my limited understanding of brand composition and value, I cannot for the life of me understand how they extrapolated those numbers short of a focus group of 2000 people. Brand is only as valuable as the cash register at academy when a customer buys a t-shirt and leaves another team’s behind. But then, maybe they extrapolated those numbers based on licensed apparel sales. That would make a tiny, tiny but more sense.

1 Like

It’s not apparel sales because if it were Duke would be much higher.

1 Like

WSJ needs to stick to reporting on Wallstreet

Yea. Probably not. I’d like to think if those numbers were calculated a year ago Cincy has grown its brand value immensely by being in the playoffs. Or it seems counter-intuitive that they wouldn’t.

1 Like

Seriously?
Let’s look at what you posted:
Are you telling us that:
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa
Have a stronger brand value than USC?
Being published in the WSJ does not make it true. There are many others so called “brand value” that makes no sense whatsoever.

3 Likes

I can tell you that all three have higher attendance, and as such, probably higher revenues.

Then its balance sheet value?

Also check out ou and Lsu with the 2.5 multiple over usc

1 Like