AAC Conf. Tourny

Coogs end up the 7 seed and face 2 seed Tulane tomorrow at 3 PM. Anything can happen in this tournament…

Winning percentage is 2nd worst in school history and 2nd worst conference winning percentage in the last 25 years.

The team did not play the four games against ECU (1st in AAC) so the record could have been worse.

RIP, excuse me… RPI is #225

4 Likes

our record this year in AAc play
WSU 1 - 7
ECU did not play
USF 2 - 2
Tulane 1 - 3
Cincy 1 - 3
Mem 2 - 2
UCF 0 - 4

We didn’t win a single series against anybody.

1 Like

Do you believe in miracles?

1 Like

If we were to somehow put together a run and make the field, it would most likely be akin to the time Penders caught lightning in a bottle and stole an NCAA bid by winning the C-USA tourney in hoops. We have no shot of doing anything in a regional.

4 Likes

I suppose it marks me a masochist, but I will follow the tournament (and bring to mind memories of when the Coogs were a constant threat in this event). However, I have always been a sucker for Thayer’s gentle plagiarism of Alex Pope and let “hope spring eternal…”

2 Likes

For a team that started the season with CWS hopes this year has been brutal. Zero excuse for this season being this bad. These are all D1 kids, they can all play the game. The lack of focus screams leadership, it’s time to thank CTW for all that he has accomplished and move on. Lets get Sean Allen in here pronto…that said I am still hoping for a hot streak and a out of left field run to The Dance.

2 Likes

Penders had the leading scorer in the country that year and some other solid players… This team hasn’t been good all year.

2 Likes

Strangely, this format may be a little more beneficial for the Coogs…from an optimist’s POV.

Throw Gasser vs Tulane. Coogs didn’t get a run off Olthoff in the first game vs Tulane, but he’s struggled recently…giving up 15 runs in his last 15 1/3. I’m assuming he goes for Tulane in this one so that he’d be available for Sunday if they get there. Hope Gasser is Gasser and the bats can get a few runs.

Win that game, you don’t play until Thursday vs USF or Wichita State. I’m assuming Sears goes at that point. USF has a ton of good starters, so I’d probably want Wichita State here…since they’d likely be starting someone with an ERA of over 5 (in conference play). Hope that Sears comes out firing and the bats get to a ugliness pitcher.

Win that, you get to wait until Saturday and get two chances to win one. Again, give me Wichita State here as their staff hasn’t been good at all. Hope you can at least get one without using Gasser.

Now we”re in the Championship with a “rested” Gasser against…hopefully, Memphis. If it’s ECU, we’ll likely need a ton of luck…but, sometimes those Sunday games get funky.

Anyway, enough dreaming…just hoping for the team to win tomorrow at this point.

1 Like

2 and done put this team out of their misery.

Go Coogs! Beat Tulane!

1 Like

The same Wichita State that took 7 of 8 from us?

2 Likes

Did you just put us in the championship game against Memphis?

I’m certainly rooting for a surprising run in the tournament but we have lost 5 in a row and split a series with last place Memphis. Even in your dream scenario of playing Memphis in the finals, it is not a lock we would win that game.

Bold prediction: Cougars take Game 1 of tournament against Tulane and drop next two.

2 Likes

Bold Prediction: Coogs and Coach Whitting decide to give all Coogfans posters the middle finger and take this baby all the way to Omaha!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

:laughing: There’s no perfect scenario this year…just trying to dream for a few days.

Memphis did knock off ECU today though.

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

0-0 thru 2. Gasser w/ 3 Ks.

2 Likes

Bats are doing their usual also. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

0-0 through 3.

1 Like

Watching Gasser pitch is a sight to see.

Watching our hitters is…not. Just no strategy when they are up there…hey kids, just go up and swing if it’s in the strike zone, you might get a hit if you make contact. That’s about the extent of coaching it seems they get.