Additional Heat Applied to Dana

Being honest on what UH should and can be is a bb team that makes the ncaa’s in most yrs , makes some good runs and a top 25 football program.

It’s doable

1 Like

Never been a big Dana fan off the field but still more than willing to give him at least three to four years.
First off I think he is a good coach and he will hire good assistants, second he is a proven winner, and third he inherited a team that had just gotten beat by Army something like 100-6 lol,
Dana isn’t going nowhere and I will have to put up with his interviews, his sarcasm and the continual taking his ball cap off to feel if he has any hair left upstairs.
I am not really counting the Pandemic nightmare last year but I have confidence his teams will continue to improve.
I don’t care if he gets it done by recruiting high school kids, JUCO guys or through the portal. Just ready to win.
We are at the point as a program that we have very few loyal fans left. I am putting my money on Dana turning this thing around. And only winning and competing for an NY6 game every year is going to get us there.
Say what you want…you can decorate TDECU stadium, bring in the best chefs in the world to cater meals throw huge parties, etc. but only winning will get us back to the point where fans care enough to enjoy all the above/
Go Coogs…let’s win some dang games

8 Likes

So you’re a pro-Dana/fire-Whitting guy?

1 Like

Dodd Holger-Whitting is on the hot seat.

Not quite equivalent.

Right one coach has 5 T-25 finishes and multiple trips to the postseason. The other’s had UH performing at its lowest clip since Dana Dimel.

1 Like

You’ve made some great points but ever since Dana got hired it seems like there has been a disconnect between the football :football: program and student body & fans…! This is me looking from the outside but it seems the football program is just not organized as far as getting info out to fans like Spring practice and how the players are looking during the week in practice. Also the marketing on social media like Twitter has been pretty non existent or uninspiring compared to coaches from the past.

I also think paying a coach $4 million off the bat and not producing results on the field and off to a certain extent has made fans sour on the program and on excitement going into the third year of his tenure.

Go Coogs

2 Likes

That would be quite the upgrade around here.

1st year: 4 wins
2nd year: 4 wins
3rd year: 6+ wins bowl game

We were not going to get an established coach for much less than that. We need to win, true, but we also need some stability…and that $4M hopefully secures that.
That is, of course if he can turn things around and get us back to competing again.
Like I said, I was never a big Holgy fan but I am rooting for him and our Cougars to do very well.
The dang pandemic hurt everyone last year. Even Michigan had a freak off year.
What I liked about last year is that we improved on defense. While I thought our play calling on offense was pretty boring, I am thinking a more experience offense, especially the offensive line, is going to get our offense jump started. If we cannot run the football we are doomed…

1 Like

I mean being tie to one coach is stability, but getting a hungry young coach would of maybe brought better results and not one who probably is looking for one last pay day.

And as far as the boring offense goes UH still has the same OC, so we’ll see. The OLine needs to get better no doubt. But the QB does too as far as making smart decisions (fb iq)

2 Likes

Here is some perspective from what we’ve gotten from Derek so far. Coaches have been really involved with the players. Derek has had dinner with Belk and some other veteran defensive players and they have built a rapport. Coaches have made it clear what they expect this season and there are some scheme changes on both sides. Coaches have drilled into them that they need to hate losing more than they love winning. Change your mindset and don’t settle for mediocre. Expect competition among each other and if you want it, prove it. They put pads on Sunday, then the real battle for position begins. It’s a fight for starting play everyday. He likes what he is hearing, and he says the team is really jelling together.

23 Likes

Thank you Ms Giena.

1 Like

Hate losing more than love winning. I like that.

1 Like

None of what you are talking about is really the coach’s responsibility. That is more about what the athletic department is doing to support the program. Yes, Herman did a lot of these things, and it is a desired quality, but much of that coincided with his knack for self-promotion.

Also, there has been a significant drop off in many of the things you mention since we lost David Bassity.

The coach’s job is to recruit players that can and do win games, and do so without bringing negative publicity to the university. Anything else is gravy.

2 Likes

I think UofH defense is going to be the best since Todd Orlando was here no doubt! In my heart of hearts is a top 25 team defense on paper. Potential is there to be really good.

On offense we need to see how the play calling is… I do missed having multiple Wr’s being open in almost every possesion. Hopefully our offense puts up some big numbers especially against inferior competition early on.

Go Coogs :paw_prints::paw_prints::paw_prints:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting.
Some posters have a clear agenda. It is a simple as that. As I write I am expecting another anti CDH thread to come up.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Derek will tell us straight up how he feels. Not sugarcoat it to just make everything sound good. He is genuinely feeling good about this season and all its changes. Changes needed to be made and that’s what they are working on. Fixing what didn’t work and adding depth and experience to areas that needed it. Any move forward is a positive one to me .

6 Likes

Thanks Giena…Greatly appreciate hearing insights from a veteran like Derek. I feel like we are going to have a big step up and a strong winning year…

5 Likes

I am with you Monte. Please Giena relay to the entire squad that 100ks of U of H alums and fans are behind them 100% NO QUESTIONS ASKED. There never will be a pro team that will even come close to what this school/team represents to us.
Play today like it was your last game, play with no regrets and have fun.

4 Likes

YouTube has an interview with Coach Belk.

I like what he has to say.

2 Likes