AEW at Fertitta Center

Tickets still available for next Wednesday event at our beloved UH campus.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched wrestling since middle school. The Rock and Goldberg were awesome back then.

3 Likes

AEW is not as glitzy or grand as WWE. The first broadcasts a couple years ago looked downright cheesy. It is owned by Tony Khan (along with his father) so they have plenty of money to put in. It reminds me more of the shows at the Sam Houston downtown. Has that Indie feel to it.

Their strategy is to sell out smaller arenas rather than have a half-empty Toyota Center. They’ve built up a loyal fan base. IDK if this turns a profit, but it should at some point.

2 Likes

I have tickets. It was a really fun event last year when they came to Feritta Center. The low ceiling really makes for a fun wrestling atmosphere with the pyrotechinics and crowd noise, plus when a wrestler is slammed the ricochete sound of the body hitting the mat echos through the arena.

2 Likes

Toyota Center, they put a microphone under it. LOL

Anybody want to do Womp Womp or Whose House there?

I appreciate the reference to the old Sam Houston Coliseum in downtown Houston … I am pretty sure I went to a “Ratt” concert down there back in the 1980s…

For the young ones or new to Houston on this board… the Sam Houston Coliseum was torn down in the 1990s and the Hobby Center was built on the land.

And… UH b-ball played its home games there prior to Hofheinz being built - according to wikipedia - even I am not old enough to remember that.

2 Likes

Good to see we have a repeat client coming back to use the facility.

8 Likes

They got a really talented wrestler named Swerve Strickland who does a “whose house?” Chant. Unfortunately the answer to his question is not Coogs House

2 Likes

Then one of our Coog attorneys need to slap a cease and desist on him. :wink:

2 Likes

At last a lawsuit everyone agrees upon. j/k

2 Likes

I have tickets. Very much looking forward to it. AEW is the best wrestling show out there today, and it’s great that UH is hosting it.

4 Likes

I agreed. They’re the best wrestling show around these days.

1 Like

RIP Paul Boesch

3 Likes

As I recall I saw the Beatles there . Awesome !
Go Coogs !

AEW is owed by the Khan family that has a much larger net worth than McMahon. They also have a tv deal with Turner Broadcasting and FightTV for international audience. AEW sold out the United Center recently and some other big arenas. There big three areas to run our the Texas Triangle, Florida, and the Chicago area where they always draw loud crowds.

It is a fun promotion. Seems more fan friendly, and the in-show promos could’ve been lifted from 40 years ago.

They have a late 90s WWF Attitude Era to there style. They are targeting the young adult and upper demogpraphic.

I grew up in the northeast. I’ve seen Bruno Sammartino, Pepper Gomez, Killer Kowalski, Haystacks Calhoun, Gorilla Monsoon and so on. For little kids that was magical. Three TV stations, no computers. Huge thrill.

1 Like

Bob Backlund, George the Animal Steele (who had a graduate degree), The Fabulous Moolah.

1 Like

In 1966 went to Sam Houston Coliseum and saw The Rolling Stones play. Was Awesome