After Midnight

There is never any point in arguing politics with Johnny, he will never change his mind on anything political and usually I won’t either. That probably goes for everyone as well.

If your goal is to change someone’s mind, then you might have a point. By the same token, if you’re not willing to have your mind changed, then you have a point about that too.

What if we can imagine no one having an agenda? I doubt anyone can indoctrinate anybody here or be indoctrinated all that easily.

Sometimes people just like to shoot the breeze.

3 Likes

The thing is, most of us have our core beliefs that are pretty much locked into our being and those will not change. I would bet that in the long run, we all want a better, more equitable society where people live in harmony. However, most of us know that Eutopia doesn’t exist and that many things people try to make it come true have unintended circumstances that just make things worse.

But, we can work to make things better if both sides are willing to compromise as has been the American way for most of our history. It seems that today, compromise is a dirty word and my view of the far left is they define compromise as the right agreeing with them. I understand they may look at it just the opposite. I think that there is room for reasonable people to come together for the overall benefit of the country; but it appears the parties are held hostage by the extreme fringes of both.

It has appeared to me that certain people on this board only want it one way with no room for compromise, just agreement. I will never go along with them and they will never go along with me. So, there lies the rub.

1 Like

That’s an interesting statement. I had to read it a couple of
times before I understood what it said.

I understand the 2nd amendment to the constitution says what the US Supreme court has stated it says. What you want it to say doesn’t matter.

It hasn’t always said that. In fact the history of Supreme court and 2nd amendment would probably surprise you.

3 Likes

1 Like

JC enjoys poking the bear almost as much as he enjoys debating politics. He’s like that kid in third grade who shoots that spit wad at the teacher and then hides in the cloakroom. (Old fart reference). Only now it’s starting a supposedly non-political thread knowing full well it will get political.

For the record, I advocate a “current events” forum for discussions about any subjects that doesn’t meet the published Coogfans mission statement.

Sure, no bias around here…

1 Like

You missed the posts where he called people on the board useful idiots.

The dude is literally a copy and paste Facebook bot. It’s nuts

1 Like

1 Like

Yep, no one moderates the moderators.

2 Likes

The far right holds their political views as if they were religious. They don’t want discussion and compromise because they are on a mission from God.

As a life long republican, I think the far right is far more frightening than the far left. The far left is just a bunch of dumb azz kumbayah singing morons who can’t agree on anything and always try for bridges to far. They always fail because that is just what they do.

The far right are like the Nazis. They truly believe that they are ABSOLUTELY right on ABSOLUTELY everything so there is no point in debating ANYTHING. There is no compromise because they have bern anointed by God. They love the Fatherland and view this inconvenient democracy as corrupt and needs to be replaced with a strong man. They are scary.

The problem with the far left is that they are dumber than stumps. The problem with the far right is that they aren’t dumb. They know exactly what they are doing.

4 Likes

I take great offense to comparing anybody to Nazi’s. Until Bush, Obama, Trump, anybody on the far left or right starts marching people into death camps, please lay off the Nazi comparisons.

1 Like

Nobody marches people into camps at first. That happens after the institutions of democracy are replaced with the infrastructure of totalitarianism. Then it always happens because enemies have to be removed. It always happens.

The far right views democracy as corrupt and it needs to be replaced with a strong man. They are a danger to democracy.

The vast majority of the people.in the middle need to wake up.

Could what happened in Germany happen here? Unlikely but it could and we should all be vigilant to that threat because the threat is real,

1 Like

Could what happened in Germany happen here? Unlikely but it could and we should all be vigilant to that threat because the threat is real,

I always considered that to just be a ridiculous position to take.
Now I’m not so sure.

1 Like

Traveling, I understand your point but there was more to Nazis than the Holocaust particularly how they came to power.

And unless I am badly mistaken, the reference was how they came to power. After they came to power, it was too much for the German populace (who never knew about the death camps) to do much about it primarily since they were left in the dark and it took WWII to clean things up.

Never say never. Replacement Theory and all is Exhibit A. We may not have death camps but we have people shooting others RIGHT HERE because of race, sexual orientation or religion, — Pittsburgh (Jews), El Paso (Mexicans), Buffalo (African Americans), Orlando (Gay).

3 Likes

SCOTUS decisions often change with the times to interpret laws and The Constitution differently. District of Columbia v Heller in 2008 was the first time SCOTUS found an individual had a right to bear arms unconnected with service in a militia.

So, until 2008 we did not have that right protected by The Constitution, but were allowed to have guns under various state regulations.

Just as people have interpreted their holy books differently in different times, so it is with The Constitution.

5 Likes

We may not have death camps but we have people shooting others RIGHT HERE because of race, sexual orientation or religion, — Pittsburgh (Jews), El Paso (Mexicans), Buffalo (African Americans), Orlando (Gay).

And the thing is, in these 4 instances, these are not deranged individuals acting alone.
They are part of a loosely organized subculture that lives amongst us that is promoting
their agenda and extremism. Elon has no idea of what he is stepping into.

3 Likes

©Copyright 2017 Coogfans.com