Alright Aright Alright

Data shows that large majority do not think 18 years should be buying guns anymore. If that will translate into federal legislation remains to be seen. As has been pointed out by 51, it’s been that way in Florida for 3 years and the Cubans have not invaded.

7 Likes

Then the right should quit putting them in high office: Ronald Reagan, Fred Thompson, Fred Gandy, J.C. Watts, Steve Largent, Donald Trump, Sonny Bono, Dr. Oz. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Herschel Walker, , George Murphy, Jim Bunning, Jack Kemp, Sean Duffy, Tom Osborne, Tommy Tubberville, and probably more that I’m not remembering.

9 Likes

Texas is much redder than Florida. Just nowhere to get traction.

1 Like

Fwiw – Matthew McConaughey was born n raised in Uvalde Tx. I’m out.

3 Likes

1 Like

Thank god

Maybe God is listening. Even Republican state senators are calling for action.

Republican State Senators Kel Seliger (R-Amarillo) and Jeff Leach (R-Plano) both tweeted Friday their support for a special session. Seliger said legislators should reconvene, “until we do something the FBI or DPS believe will lessen the chance of the next Uvalde tragedy.” Leach said bringing lawmakers back to Austin was something, “Texans expect and deserve this and time demands it.”

“With regards to a special session, lets me just say this, and that is, first of all, all options are on the table,” said Abbott on Friday.

2 Likes

The man supports his school, hometown, and will of most Texans.
Can’t fault him for that.

The people are speaking very loudly. Senators who were adamantly against anything a few weeks ago are moving towards the center.

Being an absolutist on this issue is not good politics.

I have friends who are big NRA people and serve as officers and even they are saying that they aren’t against some of these initiatives and have said that the NRA has privately said that they are supportive to some of these initiatives but publicly will continue to say they are against everything.

Mitch McConnel has even said he is supportive of raising the age to 21 for purchasing ARs.

This is all very positive and extremely positive given that the republicans know they will win big in November and could take the stance that they will debate this after the mid terms.

They know there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Good for them and good for us. Yay democracy. We aren’t as divided as we are being told.

2 Likes

I’m for whatever can get done, but it won’t be much. And Mitch will do little, yet use it to claim he led his caucus to take bold action. Same here in Texas. Sorry I sound relentlessly cynical.

Yeah, it’s getting murkier by the day. GOP House leadership is telling its members to vote no on any gun reform legislation. Meanwhile, a Republican congressman in NY had to bow out of his primary because the reaction to him supporting reform was so fierce:

Senate Republicans are now saying people need patience. It’s probably 50-50, at best, that even the most minimal reform will pass.

Because elections are always looming, kick the ammo can down the road for the next guy to pick up.

1 Like

Most Americans are in support of some gun control/reform.

But the vocal “you’ll get my gun from my cold dead hand” crowd, I am close friends with many of them, are calling and writing their representatives threatening to vote them out if the support legislation for reform/control. They know politicians fear their base.

The scariest part is this seems to be driving a bigger wedge in the country and further dividing us. The chatter about taking up arms against the government is louder now in this group and when combined with their support for the Jan 6 insurrection I wonder if if we are reaching a point where we may not be able to bridge the divide.

I respect MM for speaking as he was born in Uvalde. And the reaction from the right was expected but they were quiet when TFG struggled reading the victims names at his speech at the NRA conference and then danced on stage after he was done, classy right?

1 Like

You’re more optimistic than I am. These negotiations reek already of a classic Mitch McConnell clock burn. Put Cornyn in to show that he’s “very serious”, say these things take time and can’t be rushed, trust in the attention span of the American goldfish population, and finally break it off a few weeks later. Say we tried but those Democrats just wanted too much

3 Likes

Breaking News: Ron Desantis has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow and he will announce that he will sign an executive order banning all Mathew McCounaugy movies in Florida.

6 Likes

Stealing

2 Likes

I think those are movies (?)… but I think I see ur point that we should prob consider reducing violent content in media as a whole

1 Like

Unintended consequences of oversimplification

2 Likes

Are not violent movies and video games part of the issue? Both the uvalde and sante fe murderers were avid video game players