Alternate National Anthems

Just “youtubed” it.

It’s not as good.

Scotland the Brave is an INFINITELY BETTER bagpipe tune!

Ask ANY Scotts. I have had a ton of Scottish friends through the years.
Go to a bar at 6am to watch a six nations rugby game. YOU will understand what it means to them.

Pretty song sung by pretty girl.

Hayley Westenra is a cutie pie with the voice of an angel!

Truly New Zealand’s gift to classical singing!

Here she is singing her own country’s national anthem!

BEAUTIFUL!!!

What language is that? I thought they spoke English in NZ.

Maori and English.

Maori

Embrace it, we are a nation of savages, because you had to be a savage to defeat a savage

OK, my HS friend told me that her Mother in Law prefers Flower of Scotland, but she’ll ask her husband tonight.

But even if he says “Flower of Scotland,” remember, this is a thread about ALTERNATE national anthems.

That means that for Scotland…“Scotland the Brave” is a NO BRAINER!!!

OK, my friend just texted me that her husband prefers “Flower of Scotland,” but she and I both agreed that “Scotland the Brave” is better!

Oh boy…Does that mean the PAC is going to raid the BIG12?

LOL

I got a couple. One from the Polish Lithuanian commonwealth era. It talks about the winged hussars. The main unit of the commonwealth and for 200 years (maybe more I can’t remember anymore) won every battle they were deployed in. Usually out numbered but never outclassed. In the song it mentions the victory over Sweden in the battle of kircholm. Swedens greatest military defeat.

This next one was a marching song composed in mid 1700’s it was revived during the polish soviet war in the 1920. Also as a marching song. Nowadays it’s a drinking song. Very popular in Poland. Just for UHLaw I am including the Polish and Ukrainian versions. You can see how very similar the languages are. Almost all the words are pronounced the same.

As I may have mentioned before. I met a lady from Ukraine that told me that she could understand 90% of what a Pole says, and about 75% of what a Russian says.

Interesting song!

Ya that was it. I remember having this convo with you so I thought I would oblige. The writing is different but the words are pronounced almost exactly the same.

Here’s something you may or may not know.

Would it surprise you to learn that the music of Poland’s current national anthem…is identical to the music of the FORMER…(and now defunct, of course)…YUGOSLAV national anthem???

Seriously!!! See here:

Wow. That is almost the exact same tune.

I really like South Africa’s national anthem.

Growing up in Europe we were always sick to hear the soviet and ddr anthems during the Olympics. We never got tired of listening to ours.

Evil Empire though it may have been, the USSR did have a pretty powerful national anthem.

I sure wish we’d give up the really STUPID British drinking song that became our national anthem.

Home of the free, lol