An idea for cfp playoff

No- there are 10 FBS conferences. Each of those winners would get a bid, and you would have six at-large bids. 16 team tournament- four rounds. FCS has been doing that for years.

2 Likes

All FBS conferences getting an automatic bid is highly unlikely to ever happen. Too much $$$ involved for the P5’s including the SEC and the BIG (as well as ESPN) to ever agree to share equitably.

I understand what you are saying but I’m saying P5s realistically will not go for that unless it benefits them. There would have to be more than 6 at-large bids.

You can’t think about what’s rational in college football. You have to put on your “greedy” hat and think like a P5.

1 Like

I would think having 11 out of the 16 spots in a playoff should satisfy them. If not, tough.

1 Like

The p5 will only go for 5 auto bids or 6 highest rated conferences then the other 6 go to ND and at least 5 p5s and maybe a 2nd g5 with 4 other p5s. No way they allow all conf champs bc then it would chip away at their power down the line bc of more equality and recruits will start going to coastal, liberty , utsa etc.The sec would nix the all conf champions approach bc they want more teams in the playoffs.

1 Like

Yes it’s going to be tough for the G5s since the P5s control college football. P5s control all the rules and the money.

Didn’t you hear SEC Greg Sankey say we are going to have a 12 team playoff or go back to 4? The G5s are going to accept whatever 12 team playoff model the P5s agree on. Guarantee it.

1 Like

The playoff is going to be 4 or 12. With 4 you have at least 1 P5 left out each year. With 12 you get 5 P5 champions, Notre Dame, and at least 1 G5 and 5 at large. It’s not going to 16, 20, or any other number. I favor the plan that benefits UH the most.

1 Like