Another Undefeated Goes down

I watched Michigan a couple weeks back; they are better this year than last.

1 Like

I think we are better than last year too!

3 Likes

You must be some kind of snowflake whisperer to understand that, heh!:laughing:

We have more than one potential hot hand. Tools at both ends and an aggressive rebounding squad.

This team is very good but I’m honestly still not ready to say we’re better than last year. Last year we were really, really good. Home wins over WSU and Cincy were major. We should have beaten the national runner up in the tourney if not for one of the most improbable endings in a tourney game and the only five point play I have ever seen in a basketball game.

1 Like

We have more depth this year. As to whether we are better or not will play out in the next couple of months.

I think this season will be dependent on Fabian White’s progress and having no injuries of significance.

Personally, I will be disappointed if we finish with a 12-6 conference record, but would be very happy with a 14-4 record.

It is a fine line.

The trick is thinking of the most ridiculous outcome possible and adding extreme sensitivity to it, it’s the new American way!

1 Like

So are we ! Go Coogs !

Still not sure how the map works out. If Utah State beats Nevada Wednesday (and of course we win) do we get all of the Nevada territory because we beat Utah State or do we split it with Michigan evenly?

Depends on the “proximity”. The counties that are closest to UH will be “UH territory” and vice versus for Michigan.

We beat LSU this year and lost to them last year.

The way we have played this year with the “comeback kid” style games I believe we have what it takes to go farther this year. Sure we don’t have a Rob Gray type of player but we have an excellent defense and a bunch of guys who will step up this year. I’m thinking we will do better this year than last but we shall see.

1 Like

I figured that since we beat USU and Michigan did not play USU or Nevada, we would get the whole Nevada territory. Idk

This isn’t the conquest map, just a map that shows the closest undefeated team to each county.

I’d show the conquest map, but we only have two counties on that one: Galveston and a small one in Utah.

1 Like

We’re definitely deeper. Our conference isn’t quite as good at the top so I think 14-4 this year wouldn’t be the same as 14-4 last year. We’d probably need to win 15 or maybe 16 conference games to stack up to last year I think. 12-6 would still be really good just from an objective standpoint. I wouldn’t be super disappointed with that, but we can and should definitely do better.

I agree that the progression of White will play a big part in how well we do. Also, if it could click with Alley and he starts hitting that corner 3 he takes all the time at about 30% that would be big as well.

I think we can be better than last year by the time the tourney rolls around, but I think people are weirdly forgetting how good we were last year. We smoked Arkansas by like 25 and beat two really good teams in Cincy and Wichita State, the latter twice and the former we lost to by 1 point the third time.

Putting aside that it’s pretty statistically insignificant and doesn’t really make sense to base this off of one common opponent in two different years, we lost to LSU by 3 points on the road last year and beat them by 6 points at home this year. Since a decent home court advantage is worth about 4 points, meaning the home road differential is about 8 points total, that is almost exactly the difference in the results between the two years (9 points)

We also won @ St. Louis last year by 19 points last year and only beat them by 4 at home this year.

We don’t have a game as good as at least our 4 best last year yet (double digit home win over WSU, annihilating Ark at home, beating Cincy at home, beating WSU on a neutral court).

Our D was really good last year too. We just played at a faster tempo.