Antoine Davis

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Why he should have stuck to his LOI

1 Like

Jamal Shead will be able to do that, but even he is no small point guard, he’s 6’2 well built.

My guess is that Davis isn’t any better at shooting the three than Sasser, and look at the problems Sas had adjusting to our system. That said, Sasser is going to win games for us down the line…I would not trade him…

2 Likes

Naw. Davis is a better shooter than Marcus. CKS said Davis is the best shooter he’s ever recruited. Last year Davis shot 38% on 11.6 three point attempts per game. That’s ludicrous. This year he’s down to 30.6% on 11.1 attempts because he’s likely getting even more defensive attention (and maybe the line moving back is a bit of a factor, though he seemed to jack from anywhere based on what I saw last year).

Last year Davis shot 86% from the FT line and this year he’s shooting 93%. The kid’s shooting is elite. If he were hanging out in the corner, spotting up for us shooting 4-5 attempts per game on kick outs or in transition he’d almost certainly be hitting 38%-40% from 3.

Marcus will be a better defender than Davis by far, though. In any event, I’m not sure what the point in trying to disparage Davis is just because he followed his dad. Our staff did a great job in identifying both guys as more under the radar prospects and that should give us confidence at how great they are at their jobs.

2 Likes

At this point we don’t really know…Marcus has shown early that he has the capability of scoring from long range. Remember also that Marcus is going head to head with better competition and has never had the leash to shoot when he wants to.
Sasser obviously plays around much better talent and at times is reluctant to shoot. He is bigger and more physical and like I said, I would not trade him for Davis. Not going to argue that Sasser is a better shooter, but IMO he is better suited for this team…

Sasser is a better shooter than his percentage currently shows (he’s only at 35% on the year which is decent, but not great), and I think a large part of his low percentage is grasping the mental side of the game. When he’s in the game, he’s usually playing point guard and CKS is having him initiate the offense. We often see him overthink and hesitate when he does get the ball in a good position to shoot. This is something that we probably see a big jump in from him next year.

1 Like

I agree that and would not trade Sasser for Davis.
As for who is the better shooter there is more in play than who can hit a wide open three.

Detroit Mercy is 2 - 12 and has two home games coming up against Northern Kentucky and Wright State. they are underdogs in both games. They have a 7,900 seat arena built in the 1950’s but appears they don’t draw well given this:

Ray McCallum turned around Detroit Mercy after his first year. He had success there with his son but started to go bad again near the end:

Detroit Titans (Horizon League) (2008–2016)
2008–09 Detroit 6–23 2–16 10th
2009–10 Detroit 19–14 9–9 7th
2010–11 Detroit 16–16 10–8 T–5th
2011–12 Detroit 20–14 11–7 T–3rd NCAA Division I First Round
2012–13 Detroit 18–13 12–4 2nd NIT First Round
2013–14 Detroit 11–19 6–10 T–7th
2014–15 Detroit 13–18 7–9 6th
2015–16 Detroit 14–15 9–9 6th
Detroit: 117–132 (.470) 66–72 (.478)

Davis is still putting up points.

Hes been in college like forever!

He’s using that COVID year, like a bunch of guys.

Bunch of guys who arent NBA ready!

Right. That’s obviously the vast majority of college basketball players, so it’s hardly exceptional.

I would like a 6-9 PG like Magic Johnson who could shoot over other guards and do it with accuracy.