Applewhite will be sacrificed to the 2019 season

Ladies and gentlemen, our admin is playing the long game. We have no talent on defense thanks to Herman not caring/taking recruits and Applewhite’s inability to get major contributors to this point out of the HS ranks - we all saw how bad our defense was without Oliver. Offensively we have King for one more year and then we don’t really know what we have on offense as a whole. The talent just isn’t there right now. (Wasn’t Applewhite supposed to be a stud recruiter and that was the major reason he was hired? I digress)

The bottom line is that our schedule is really really tough next year and an 8-9 win season would be a great accomplishment. Our admin knows Applewhite isn’t up to it and can be sacrificed to this “lost season”. The timing of our “playoff resume building season” couldn’t be worse. A new HC coming in next year would be setup to fail in 2019 with our talent and schedule - let’s be honest. Applewhite will win 5-6 games and get blown out a couple times with that schedule- he’ll take our toughest schedule in a while on the chin and help UH save face that he needed to be fired (3 years and program trending down). This will help ensure we can get the best up and comer to replace him.

Saving the buyout money and not being the school that fired two 8 wins in two years coaches twice in the past decade is a plus.

The long game is being played no doubt- unfortunately we are going to see multiple losses and half full stadiums before it gets better. Admin also knows that alumni in Houston will bounce back onboard as soon as things look promising. 2019 could be one of those rare years where we have our QB healthy all season and have a losing record.

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’re right. We sold in 23K season tickets for the 2016 season. While that number was unsustainable, I’m expecting 1/2 that next year. We will be back to where we were the last few years at Robertson.

1 Like

You’re basically saying the EXACT same thing I did in my previous post. If Applewhite stays, the program is going to have hit rock bottom and start all over again

Next year is going to be brutal!

2 Likes

Hopefully you are wrong as it will be a BIG mistake !!

I think Apple Boy wants out !

1 Like

Get ready for Dimelesk attendance numbers, by staying with Apple they’re saying they’re OK with that. No Coordinator that’s not desperate will come here

1 Like

You have a bad memory if you think we will hit Dimel numbers. Our hardcore base has more than doubled since then.

4 Likes

Sooner, i think more and more that is exactly whats going to happen.

You’re probably right. It’s going to be a tough season regardless of who the coach is.

1 Like

Soooo, you are saying that regardless of who we might bring in, they would be no better than Apple Boy !!

Therefore, regardless of the players you have, the coaching, schemes, preparation and attitude make NO difference !!

1 Like

Our conference desperately needs that TV contract to land us a big raise. Early rumors have it in the $8-14 million per school range with unbalanced sharing, if needed.

This will really help us have a better chance at filling out a full coaching staff with respectable salaries.

1 Like

Here is the deal: I don’t want to sacrifice 2019 to see if he “Can do it”…We will lose a bunch of folks, and some are much harder to get back, for a coach to stink it up like that and think it is a joke. He just affect our continuing w bad loss bowl record…and yes I think bowl history records matter…

1 Like

Rumors are we came in asking for $10M and ESPN said $4M, and that is it as far as solid info. The Sports Business Journal recently had an article prediticing (crystal ball style) that it would probably end up being $8M. Of course, no GoR will be given.

My guess is it will be around $7.5M per school in the end.

So it’s a dumpster fire and not the Titanic

1 Like

2 Likes

Idk. We gave up a home game next year to play in the NRG Advocare Game. My guess is that our pay out for that game is directly related to ticket sales. I dont think there is way in hell to repackage Major after that white flag punt from the 30 yard line. Frankly, that move was worse than the loss itself to me. Selling tickets to that NRG game will be very tough if Major is still HC.

4 Likes

[quote=“WasSoonerNowCoog, post:1, topic:16270, full:true”] A new HC coming in next year would be setup to fail in 2019 with our talent and schedule - let’s be honest.
[/quote]

You can’t say a new coach would be failure. We’ve got a healthy last year King coming back with a last 8-5 record despite all the injuries going into 2019.

I’m reserving judgment until I find out what additions and potential improvements are being made to the coaching staff. I’m holding out hope that I’m going to like the additions. One thing about about Herman, I was very confident that he would be successful based on his coaching staff. It’s not a one-man job. Major, I believe, will have one more chance to get this right.

You may be right. I just don’t think you can fix a lifeless HC with better coordinators.

Agreed. We Wil have a new OC and DC. Adding a New HC can’t be anymore of a hassle. Either way, the kids will have different coaches on both sides. How about that High School that made it to State their first year of Varsity FB…you never know.