ARE WE DEAD YET?

So trust the leadership they are always right??? Uhhh my life experience doesn’t agree with you P5. Washington…no…sorry can’t get there.

2 Likes

If over a million people die in the US, then the economy will arrive at the same fate either way. Eventually the death toll we head towards a certain trajectory and governments around the world will to the same conclusion at some point…the longer they wait, the more people die, but either way the economy is severely impacted. Hell the risks to the economy existed (massive amounts of corporate and consumer debt, and unstainable cost of living inflation). It just needed a catalyst. If it wasn’t coronavirus related shutdowns, it would have been something else.

3 Likes

There are 11,000 people dead worldwide. The vast majority of which are elderly. Quarantine the elderly and maybe we don’t hit a million.

If you remember the 80’s in Texas, get ready that is America.

2 Likes

I have Zero issue w/ all the back n forth. You gain knowledge n diff view points. My issue is Title of thread. Very disturbing! :grimacing:

1 Like

11,000 so far. It’s not over yet. Besides it’s not just about deaths, it’s also about preventing people from falling sick. 30% of those requiring hospitalization are under the age of 45! If you allow the virus spread unchecked you could be looking at millions of seriously sick!

But this argument will be resolved in the next several weeks when we start seeing statistics from the UK and US, 2 countries that reacted last.

1 Like

1 Like

This. And it should be noted that industry or big business at least pulled the plug and went first in shutting down in a lot of instances. That’s quite telling.

Economy’s go thru boom and bust cycles all the time. Just in my life time I’ve experienced 4 or 5 busts. Sometimes the pain is sector focused (oil).
This time folks in service type work get hit. Small business will adapt - food service can focus on home delivery service ( like pizza places have been doing forever) . Home grocery deliver is another growth area. And govt assistance for those that can’t transition and with new skills training.

COVID-19 can possibly be effectively managed by social distancing over the 18 month period. But there will be new and deadlier virus. Early detection, early testing, and early emergency controls need to be the norm in the future. I’m of the opinion our government and many other governments missed the ball on this time.

Indeed, it comes down to reviving a dead person or an economy. And this is not just an old persons disesae

1 Like

You haven’t gone through this. No one has. We have never seen an economy come to an abrupt stop and told to sit tight for 30 days. It is like telling somebody not to breath for 5 minutes. Could it work? Probably not.

Its weird you keep comparing economy to life but we already know which one dies and never comes back.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/2020/03/21/COVID-19-LA-NYC-tell-doctors-to-limit-testing-of-patients/4891584794577/

I’m so confused, how can we contain it if we dont know who has it?

1 Like

This is the kind of thing that happens when a healthcare system starts getting overloaded. You have to start making tough decisions. This one is do take care of people or test people that aren’t critical and testing won’t change the treatment?

Hopefully we can find other means of testing and start getting more test kits.

1 Like

This is the point I’ve been trying to make. This is going to hit our economy no matter what we do.

We’re simply picking our poison.

Lots of hyperbole in this statement. Lots of stuff hasn’t shut down.

I bought groceries yesterday. I paid all my utility/credit card bills online. We’ve ordered take out quite a few times in the past week. I bought of bunch of stuff from Amazon and CD Baby. I bought a cargo container full of toilet paper. (haha).

Both my wife and I are working from home. Some of my kids’ teachers are checking in through various social media platforms with my children and providing some work/time-taking material.

Some parts of the economy are suffering, but some parts are moving on. And probably new areas are being created as we speak to address our new situation.

Point is, your statement is over the top. As somebody pointed out above, there have been many warnings over the past few years re the corporate credit bubble. That bubble was going to burst sooner or later, but it was coming and we’d feel the effects.

4 Likes

We’ve also never gone through a major pandemic in a globally connected world. A lot is unknown but we have to, as a society, do our best to mitigate the loss of life as much as possible.

I mean if we take the data that we know because we have seen it in Wuhan and Italy and extrapolate it forward…if we decide to do nothing, we are looking at over a million dead in the United States alone. That is what is at risk.

Do we do a half-measure and roll the dice that it is not as bad? Are you willing to walk into a nursing home and tell them that you think 20% of them deserve to die so you can protect your job? Because that is basically what the data is telling us will happen if we do nothing.

Edit: any business or household that does not have the savings/balancesheet to survive a 1 month disruption has issues financially. And yes there are a lot of businesses and households in that position, which is why we were headed towards a recession already either way. The economy is cyclical. People’s lives are not.

3 Likes

I think this was a lab experiment purposely sent out to do harm…

At what point will the federal government step up and realize the entire country needs to shut it down. And why are they not mobilize the national guard to set up crash sites and drive through test sites to mitigate hospital overcrowding and the potential risk of transmission to doctors, nurses and other health workers? Every day that passes without a federal response to the issues stated above, the longer it will take to flatline the virus and get the economy back on track.

3 Likes

You don’t. That’s why you test. I heard anyone that wants a test can get a test. That was weeks ago. :slightly_frowning_face: :mask:

Then again, the person that said that also said on February 26 (3.5 weeks ago) that we’d be near zero cases by the end of February:

“We’re going very substantially down, not up. Going very substantially down. Schools should be preparing. Get ready just in case. The words are ‘Just in case.’ We don’t think we’ll be there. We don’t think we’ll be anywhere close. When you have 15 people and the 15 within a couple days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

Three and a half weeks ago we should have been anticipating and preparing for this, not assuming that it would just go away.

6 Likes

My previous post was venting, not really helpful.

A friend just sent this link, which does give helpful advice: Covid Act Now

Based on these calculations, we need to institute “shelter in place” within the next 1-2 weeks to prevent us from overwhelming available hospital beds.

With the current status quo we’ll overwhelm available beds within 4-6 weeks.

3 Likes