Arkansas will be a load

They just beat Samford and Bucknell by at least 28 points. Both of those teams are expected to be NCAA qualifiers for the tournament. Let’s hope we are on our A game.

Neither Bucknell nor Samford is anywhere close to good, and making the tournament as the AQ from one of the worst conferences in Basketball doesn’t change that. Arkansas will be tough, but drubbing Bucknell and Samford is basically what we should expect from teams with a pulse.

Arkansas is the real deal. They were good last year and even better this year. I bought tickets for this game early. Houston better have their A game or it won’t be as close as it was last year.

They’ll be the best team not named Providence in our non-conf schedule.

However, they lost their best shooter (Dusty Hannahs) and best big man (Moses Kingsley) from last year’s team. I went up to Fayeteville last year and both those guys had big games vs UH.

Despite their pressing style, UH actually matched up with them pretty well last year. Galen was a good enough athlete to break their press consistently last year and I think the same holds true for Corey Davis. Rob absolutely torched them last year and I’m not convinced they’ll have solved him this year. We didn’t have any big man who could do anything to them last year and I don’t think that’ll be the case this time around. Still, we’ll have to play our ‘A game’ to win this one.

1 Like

Don’t forget that Davis hurt his hand about 2 minutes into that game and subsequently missed about 10 or 12 games after that. Not having him in that game hurt us immensely IMHO…

2 Likes

And beating Drexel.

1 Like

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20171128/ua-football-anderson-impressed-with-arkansas-defense

North Carolina presumably wins anyway considering its closing margin but the Razorbacks were hampered by senior guard Daryl Macon, 27 points against Oklahoma, injuring his ankle and not able to return when the Tar Heels ran away with the game.

Anderson was not counting on Macon to be healthy by Sunday, but the Little Rock Parkview graduate played and scored 16 points in 26 minutes, third in minutes against UConn only behind the 27 minutes played by Arkansas senior guards Jaylen Barford, a team-leading 24 points, and senior guard and North Little Rock High alum Anton Beard, 9 points and 4 assists.

“I didn’t know until game time when he warmed up if he could play,” Anderson said. “And obviously felt he could go out there and performed. You get the adrenaline and in the flow of the game and you forget that stuff.”

Macon determined during the Saturday off day that he would start against UConn.

“I knew last (Saturday) night that I was going to play,” Macon said after Sunday’s game in Portland. “I’ve been doing treatment. Dave (England, the veteran Arkansas trainer) is one of the best trainers and I knew he was going to get me right today. So I had a lot of confidence going out.”

If Macon overstressed the ankle Sunday, he should have ample healing time before Arkansas plays Saturday night against the Houston Cougars in Houston.