Armbrester hits the portal

The program was still in it’s infancy under Sampson and coach just needed bodies. He’s a lot pickier now.

They have two other guys that graduated HS in 18’….will be 24 and 25 and this does not include their possible “super duper” senior.

I hate to break it to you Eric, but you can be as old as DeAndre even without transferring. Maybe even older. :wink:

4 Likes

that was 3 years ago right? not really “infancy” as we were a reoccurring tournament team.

although I guess he was recruited before that…

1 Like

I think he was a Sampson-style player, just too small and couldn’t pick up the schemes. I think he was definitely worth a shot, but it just didn’t work out.

1 Like

Kind of silly to say that when we got Ramon Walker and Francis out of high school who were ranked highly. Had Grimes Transferred in from Kansas. We were getting big time talent. So to say that coach just needed bodies is kind of selling us short.

There’s two likely scenarios.

1. He didn’t work out. Sometimes guys don’t adjust well to the next level for a variety of reasons.

2. He was overvalued. Recruiting was weird during that time because of Covid in 2020 during these guys junior seasons in high school. So a lot of coaches relied on old footage or that summer AAU circuit in 2020. Armbrester played really well that summer.

Also, Armbrester wasn’t just a body that we needed to fill the roster. He had offers from Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Clemson, Mississippi, and Georgia

3 Likes

Originally billed as a 6’6 forward. Problem was he was really 6’4 and never could shoot. I remember before had got here he posted numerous videos of him dunking. Never seemed to work on his shot or ball handling.

1 Like

He got measured in his shoes, we do it differently now

2 Likes

I saw two games of him in high school and he scored 0 baskets!!! :fire::fire::fire:

He looks as if football is his natural sport