As a Gen Z I’ll be honest

I truly am jealous of the generations that got to experience high school and/or college pre-social media

Consider yourself lucky

10 Likes

It’s overload. Set limits and step away.

1 Like

Hell, I didn’t like answering machines and caller ID.

3 Likes

Yeah, i mean, us older gents are jealous that we didnt get resumes from ladies in image format

2 Likes

growing up in the 1960s was the best. No phone, no beepers, almost no cameras. There is no evidence that I wasn’t a perfect angel who never gave my parents a single moment of worry. Well, maybe a scar or two.

2 Likes

You’re jealous of not having instant info on any topic you want at any time? Heck, just getting movie times was tedious. Let alone, phone numbers to restaurants, or just getting their operating hours.

How about having a phone line (party line that you shared with 4 other families in the neighborhood). If you want to see what life was like in the 60’s growing up in Houston. I recommend Apollo 10 1/2 on Facebook.

1 Like

I don’t know how many times I’ve said how glad I am there was no Facebook or Twitter back in the day.

I wouldn’t have been smart enough to keep all my stupid crap off the internet.

At least I was able to cover up my dumb tattoos with bigger and better tattoos. Unfortunately I don’t think Facebook works that way… That’s forever!

1 Like

I remember calling the movie theater to listen to a list of movies and times. It didn’t take that long because my small town only had 5 screens. MoviePhone was pretty cool when it came out, but that became obsolete overnight

3 Likes
4 Likes

Movie times also in the daily newspapers.

We actually talked in person or by phone.

Good times.

3 Likes

As we talk to each other on the interwebs. :joy:

We collected a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica while I was in elementary school (I think you could buy a volume at a time at Kroger’s.)

Between that, the Yellow Pages and the White Pages, we had “Google” pretty well covered. Add in a Key Map and we had “Google Maps” too!!!

4 Likes

Chasing chicks was done in person

5 Likes

The Sears Wish Book

4 Likes

7 digit phone numbers.

1 Like

My first was CEntral 2 5590

When I first started visiting Alpine, Texas in the 90s, phone numbers were 4 digits. Didn’t have to dial the first three numbers (and I don’t think anyone was using area codes for local calls back then).

EDIT: for clarification, this was the 1990s, not the 1890s. :joy:

1 Like

I’d argue it is easier now, in person. The apps have some proven outcomes, but there are plenty of trashy people out there.

Apps are so impersonal that it psychologically allows people to rid themselves of common decency. It’s like “regular” people who get into their car, a switch happens, and have terrible road rage: the car gives them an allowance to be this way vs if they ride a train or airplane.

Being social and participating in life leads to meeting great people.

This old fart will chime in on FB. I was telling some friends that one day children or their children will likely be able to read all private chats from FB and that will be interesting for them. It will be like publishing private journals. Should be a good read…

1 Like