As a Gen Z I’ll be honest

Try researching a debate topic in the 1950’s. Go physically to the library, use various indexes to find appropriate materials (good prep for law school), find an article or book and write out what you find (no copy machines in MDA in those days), then type on note cards and organize notes for later access.
Now there are lawyers who can store essential documents on their cell phones or computers, pull them up and project them on large flat screen monitors in the courtroom.

2 Likes

I read an article saying that they are working on an AI that can sift through ALL legal cases and create a case. Amazing.

Learned the Dewey Decimal systerm to earn the library merit badge

I can still smell the mimeograph prints. Gives me chills since I rarely studied for the quizzes.

1 Like

All freshmen at LSU were required to take a one semester course called Books and Libraries that taught the Dewy Decimal System how to use the card files to do searches among other things. It also required us to buy a workbook that had to have pages torn out and turned in when filled out. It cost about $15 and was written by the head of the library department. It was basically a rip-off ensuring she got a fee from every freshman entering LSU. I doubt that is still required in the internet age.

True but I remember the land line where the tel cord couldn’t stretch fair enough away from parents or we’d have only 2 and they’d pick up the line too. Lol

In many ways texting and cell phones are better but in the dating world there’s no longer hey wanna dance then meet the girl. Nowadays she’s on social media getting dates. If your already dating her , text and cell phones are way better though.

3 Likes

I did debate during the transition from paper to paperless, and it was stark seeing some schools roll up with dollies of giant plastic tubs full of evidence and others just show up to the room and pull a laptop out of their backpack. Of course, by that point we were printing everything on printer paper – they’re only called “cards” now as a matter of habit.

Hilarious

1 Like

Very funny. Now let’s get a video of some older folks trying to share their screen on a Zoom call.

“There, we did it.”

I got a good laugh EVERY single time they hung up the receiver.

1 Like

Calling for movie times and having Domino’s phone number memorized was a normal thing. I think the Millennials born in the late 80s got the best of both worlds. Rapid tech advancements hit us at an age where we appreciated it and accepted it. Gen Z and younger Millennials take technology for granted and don’t even take advantage of it.

Yeah I am late Gen X; I consider us the luckiest generation because we were around pre-tech and social media, so we learned the ins and outs of survival without instant gratification, yet have also learned the tech side. In fact, its our generation that has created much of the technology backbone that makes Social Media possible (Google, YouTube, Facebook (other than Zuckerberg), leader of Microsoft, etc.).

We are also entering our prime earning age at a time when there is a labor shortage, which has seen our earnings skyrocket the last decade. We are taking leadership roles in business, politics and government.

There was a time when everyone viewed Gen Xers through the lens of Reality Bites. Its good to finally get some good press.

2 Likes

I’m a hardcore GenXer.

GenXers RULE!!!

2 Likes