As i stated in another thread

AS A OLD COOG THIS NEW HIRES HAS REJUVENATED ME TO SEE ANOTHER SEASON.
AS MY 82 BIRTHDAY APPROCHES AND THE MANY AILMENTS 82 SEASON BRINGS WE
TEND TO WONDER HOW LONG WE WILL CONTINUE. HEY I WANTED TO SEE CHRISTMAS
WITH MY KIDS AND GRANDKIDS. THEN TO SEE JAN 20TH. AS AGE SEEMS TO CREAP
UPON US WE LOOK FOR SHORT OBJECTIVES. IF THE GOOD LORD NEEDS ME I AM
READY, BUT SURE LIKE TO SEE ONE MORE UH GREAT OF. AND GOOD DF. GO COOGS

20 Likes

Happy Birthday, Fox.

1 Like

Fox, I always enjoy your perspective. Hoping with you some great things ahead for us. Happy Birthday and best to you.

In 82 seasons, which one, in your opinion, was the greatest UH football season of all time?

1979: 11-1 season in the SWC and a Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska.
2011: 13-1 season in CUSA and a Ticket City Bowl win over Penn State.
2015: 13-1 season in the AAC and a Peach Bowl win over Florida State.

Or, perhaps you have another season that ranks #1 in your 82 years as a UH fan.

Thanks. Happy birthday.

I will have my 94th bitrthday in two days. I started the first alumni club outside Houston while in corpus in 1969. Helped Finch and Daniels with recruiting. This has given me new life to see another season Seen a lt of Cougar football.

15 Likes

Welcome GrayFox!

I was hoping you’d make it over to this board

Still in Riudoso? Alto?

2 Likes

Not even close IMO…winning a very tough SWC and then beating Nebraska has to be our top moment. Had we beaten Texas here that year there is a good chance we could have been tagged National Champs.
Our second best team was IMO the 1969 Coogs…that year we lost our first two games and then changed quarterbacks and a guy named Moon Mullins led us to nine straight wins, including a very convincing 36-7 win over highly ranked Auburn.
I will say this, our run in 2015 was the best we have had since getting tossed from the P5 ranks…a very exciting win that gave us some national exposure…

4 Likes

Happy Birthday!!! to Fox and Coog24!

1 Like

Butch, do you know how Moon Mullins got that name. And I was at that game too, with my Dad

No I don’t…never really gave it much thought…lol…just know that he ran the veer as well as anyone until he hurt his leg…and then he was still better than most. He was like having a coach in the huddle…

Moon Mullins was a comic strip character back in the day.

1 Like

This is fantastic, Coog24. 94 years old, and still kicking it! Not to mention, posting on a message board! Impressive, my friend.

6 Likes

You need to visit your son-in-law’s again and come see his neighbor. Heard he’s a downright good guy and even wears red to funerals.

I’m 21 graduating from Bauer in May

It’s truly astonishing how much history our university has that many current students/recent grads have no idea about

Wish I could have experienced the SWC in real time

3 Likes

'73 was also a special year. Coogs were 7 points away (0-7 at Auburn) from being undefeated and possibly being N.C.'s.

1 Like

MUCH RESPECT TO FOX AND COOG24 FOR ALL THE YEARS OF DEDICATION. I HOPE TO BE JUST AS SUPPORTIVE IN FUTURE YEARS AS ALL OF YALL HAVE BEEN.

1 Like

MOON MULLINS COULD NOT PASS WELL, COULD NOT SEE GOOD, WAS A SLOW RUNNER, BUT WAS
A WINNER. SOME GUYS HAVE TALLENT BUT ARE NOT GREAT PLAYERS. MOON WAS A 5 ON TALLENT
BUT A 10 ON BEING A GREAT QB.
WHEN YOU TALK OF MEMORIES, ONE OF MY FAVORITES WAS AT THE OLD COTTON BOWL STADIUM
WE PLAYED SMU THE FIRST PART OF THE SEASON. SOME COOGS HAD POSTED A BIG SIGN THAT
SAID WE WILL BE BACK JAN 1ST 1977. I CAN STILL SEE IT RED LETTERS ON A BIG WHITE BACKGROUND.
FOLKS AND WE WERE THERE.
COOG 24 MY BEST FRIEND WHO WENT TO MOST GAMES WITH THE MRS AND I WAS FROM CCSQUARE.
HIS NAME WAS LES WASSERMAN. HIS DAD WAS A MAYOR IN CC YEARS AGO. LES CAME TO UH TO PLAY
GOLF. WE WERE FRIENDS FOR YEARS. HE PASSED 3 OR 4 YEARS AGO. AT WOLFIES ON 45 N IN THE
BAR IS A SIGH ON ONE BAR STOOL THAT SAYS LES, "CHAIRMEN OF THE BAR"
IN SWC DAYS ONE YEAR WE PLAYED UT AND THEY HAD ADDED TO THEIR ST. AND CALLED IT THE
BURNT ORANGE MOUTAIN. CHARLIE BROWN AND MARTHA (WHO I PLAYED FB AT UH WITH) WERE
SITTING NEXT TO US. AS WE BEGAN TO SCORE ON UT THE UT FANS BEGAN TO LEAVE EARLY IN
THE GAME. AS WE SCORED ANOTHER TD THEY REALLY BEGAN TO LEAVE. I STOOD UP AND YELLED
LOOK THE ORANGE MOUNTAIN IS LEAVING. OH SUCH GREAT MEMORIES.
I THINK ESPN IS LOOSING AN OPERTUNITY. COACH YEOMAN INVENTED THE VEAR OF. TEAMS ALL
OVER THE US CAME TO UH TO LEAN HOW TO RUN IT. HE TAUGHT THEM. ESPN SHOULD DO A 30-30
PROGRAM ON THIS HALL OF FAME COACH. TEAMS STILL USE VERSHANS OF THE VEAR. NAVY, ARMY
GEO TECH. GUESS I HAVE DONE ENOUGH . THANKS FELLOW COOGS. GO COOGS

6 Likes

The Horn fans walking out must have been the 1976 game. I will never forget it!

Yep. 30 nothing. That was one of the top 3 games ever played by UH.

1 Like

They walked out in droves in 1988, too. It was glorious.

1 Like