Athletic Article on Black Coaches - UH Mentioned

I see this from time to time but if I’m not mistaken, coach Sampson isn’t black, he’s Native American. I read where he’s a full blooded member of the lumbee tribe of North Carolina. He was actually raised on an Indian reservation. Now, native Americans are even less represented as head coaches in major American sports.

2 Likes

The Lumbee Tribe isn’t federally recognized.

No reservation.

State recognized tribe in NC. One of the largest east of Mississippi.

1 Like

State, yes. Federal, no.

Thus, no reservation.

Pittsburgh Steelers. Art Rooney was the original owner. Great guy. He was one of owners in the old NFL that agreed to merge into a division with AFL teams like Houston and Cincy to help the merger to occur.

I believe Art was long gone when Dan proposed the Rooney Rule.

1 Like

Art also gave any active duty serviceman free pass into Steeler games. My dad was attending Carnegie Tech, now Carnegie-Mellon, on Uncle Sam’s dime and became a life long Steeler fan. Buried him with a terrible towel.

4 Likes

Must have been a very smart man to attend Carnegie Mellon. The Steelers UMPC Rooney Sports Complex is just across the Monongahela River from Carnegie Mellon.

1 Like

Valedictorian of his HS at 15 smart

3 Likes

Carnegie Mellon’s acceptance rate is in the low teens I believe. There are a lot of valedictorians in the country that wouldn’t get much of a sniff. A great degree for you dad to have.

1 Like