Auld Lang Sune

Man, you guys can whistle past the graveyard, but it’s better to look at a huge area of need. The area between Scott Street and the parking areas needs a major overhaul. Beyond any crime aspect, it’s a visible eye sore that detracts from recruiting and attendance.

Nick do not misunderstand me. I am not calling the “race card” here. I just have enough about what seems to be such a “convenient” way for so many to put us down. Our campus is next to a not so affluent neighborhood. Again so what? The world is not made of travertine flooring. Our student population has all kinds of minorities? Again we all embrace it. Our leader is from India? Again, we all embrace it. By the way I am a proud Republican.

2 Likes

eatem up, i personally never experienced a criminal action against my person while at UH, In fact never anywhere in my travels and I visit some rough places for a living. Having said that I know others that are not as fortunate as you and I. A friend of mine was raped on campus and her companion pistol whipped one evening walking back to the quad going past the cullen fountain.
this was the late 80s. I think things are probably much better now…and I know for a fact that every college campus has criminal activity even Rice in west U.
No matter, I think the university should strive to clean up as much of the surrounding area bordering the school as possible, add better lighting in some parking areas and modernize thier security technology. Scott street needs to be a friendlier, safer area. That would go along way to solving both real and imagined issues.

1 Like

Just addressing the urban commuter profile comment. The university just had four new apartment complexes (off campus but affiliated) which are some of the nicest student apartments I’ve ever seen. Aspen heights, the vue, gateway on Cullen, and the icon. Not including the existing affiliated off campus apartments, bayou oaks, Cullen oaks, Cambridge oaks, and the campus vue. Plus starting in 2018 the quads will be torn down and replaced with more modern dorms that fit more people than the quads do, including town homes to attract live in professor staff and students with families. Just last year we already had 24% living on campus (a&m is 20%) and that’s not including the students living in the apartments just off campus. If anyone still thinks it’s a commuter school. It’s because people like you keep saying the words without reading the facts. And we like being urban, that’s what we’re in Houston and not Tuscaloosa, or college station or any garbage town filled with post grads trying to hold on to a taste of their college years.

1 Like

I grew up off Harrisburg near the Maxwell House coffee plant. I would ride my bike to McGregor park to go swimming during the summer. I late August I could stop on my way home and watch Bill Meek putting the football team thru practice. That got me interested is watching them play a game. The first game I ever saw was the 14-14 tie with Texas A&M at rice stadium. Talk about making an impression!
Started at UofH in the fall of '62, Yeoman’s first season. Great experience. Went to all of the football and basketball games
at Rice and Jeppesen stadiums. Basketball was great because of the confined space and we could make a lot of noise.
A buddy of mine and I rigged up some old automobile horns with batteries and took them to all the home games. I saw the first game at The Hof and will see the last one soon. The point I am making with all of this is that I knew the neighborhood quite well.
I moved away in 2003 and moved back last June. Have season tickets for football and basketball again. I am amazed at all of the changes that have taken place on campus and the surrounding area. Whatever negative description is given to the area around campus is only a temporary one since it will be changing soon. It is like everything you hear about the Houston weather, If you don’t like it…
What a great institution, located in a great city, located in a great State.

Go Coogs!!!

2 Likes

The best way the neighborhood improves is when the kids at Yates go to school every day believing they can walk away with their diplomas right across the street to enroll at UH or TSU. Change starts from the bottom up. When the residents see UH and TSU as gates leading to opportunity rather than barriers they cannot cross, you’ll see a renaissance.

If not for UHD, and by extension, UH, I’d not be holding four seasons tickets and cruising into something resembling retirement.

4 Likes