Aw, shucks! Kyler Murray Going Pro

I am a baseball freak but love football as well. Chase your dreams young man. IMO he can do as many have done before him…try both. He’ll know in very short order if he can make it in the NFL. If that doesn’t work can easily switch back to baseball. He’s an incredible athlete, either way, wish him best of luck

Robert Griffin III seems like a pretty good comp. One good year. Severe injury. Career mostly seemingly derailed.

He’s banked $30 M.

Baseball he still has to make to the MLB to make any money. Lots of first rounders flame out spectacularly before then.

Why not see where you get picked. With this seemingly weak quarterback class he could be a first rounder.

1 Like

Yeah and that’s a big IF when you have to work your way up to the Majors. Lots of “can’t miss” prospects miss badly in baseball.

1 Like

It’s really pretty simple. He’s demanding the A’s give him more money to play baseball, $15 million, according to reports. To do so, they’d have to put him on the 40-man roster which means he’ll be eligible for free agency in three years. Normally a player is eligible for free agency after his sixth season. Top 10 NFL pick would make about $10 million on the first contract. That gives him $15 million from two drafts guaranteed.

Me, I’d already be in Arizona waiting for pitchers and catchers to report.

2 Likes

If he doesn’t report to the NFL team after being drafted he doesn’t get to keep that money. Same with the A’s. If he leaves for the NFL he has to give the signing bonus back.

How exactly did he get the signing bonus from the A’s without killing his football eligibility? Surely the A’s paying that bonus was contingent on him joining the organization after football season ended.

Well to be fair I don’t know if he has actually received any of that money as of yet.

Also you can retain amateur status in one sport even if you had been paid to play a different sport. You do have guys that have gone and played minor league baseball that have come back to college later and played football.

I think they changed the rule after Jeremy Bloom who played for Colorado wasn’t allowed to play anymore because he had accepted sponsorship money as a professional skier.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was thinking. I didn’t know the rule had changed. Thanks for the clarification.

I know I’m rarely right about anything but I don’t see Murray as an NFL QB.

Regardless … he won’t be at OU … which means …

Hemroids and the horns will rule the roost in the Big12 this season … Ehlinger will be the top Big12 QB … so much so that one of the top horn QBs collecting splinters is transferring to Utah …

The sooners have three QBs in house … one a graduate student (who could well transfer) … whose abilities have NOT been tested FULLY yet … I suspect by the Red River shootout one will have been chosen …

BUT fortunate for us … they will STILL be playing musical chairs or arm wrestling to determine who ends up on top … ALSO

Fortunate for us … OUs secondary makes collanders look like sealed containers … so I suspect King will no doubt be lighting up their secondary like Holgerson did at WVa last Thanksgiving weekend …

NOT TO SAY UH will be favored … but I like our chances considering that OU will still be attempting to find their patooties with both hands … QB-wise as Murray will NOT be around or starting

1 Like

I find it delusional that some folks see our FB.team which just lost 14-70 to Army up in Fort Worth will go on the road to Norman OK and somehow beat OU in their home opener.

That would most likely be the biggest upset in college football this decade.

IF we fix the defense we have a shot we should score a lot of points, I’m doubtful but have a glimmer of hope we can upset them

Do you honestly think that loss is fully indicative of the team we had at the beginning of the season? Do you also think that CDH and the P5 level assistants are the equivalent to the staff that allowed such melt down? Surely we have some things the coaches will have to work out, but our chances are higher with the new staff and their shuffling at QB.

Let’s not forget that this is an OU program that we’ve beat recently(with “lessor” talent) and CDH was 4 points away from beating them last season! The fact is we won’t have the same team as last year, and neither will they.

We might be underrated and they might be overrated.

2 Likes

Changed my mind OU got Hurts we have NO shot now, going to be a long day in Norman

lol In that offense? He’ll be asked to do what he couldn’t do to keep his job at Bama-make multiple reads! We’ll just have to blitz from the secondary less since he likes to take off after the first read. Not concerned at all.

1 Like

I’d have loved to see a freshman take the field week 1. He’ll be a handful with his size and running ability.

1 Like

I agree, but those flaws that plagued him at Bama will follow him to OU. There is enough film on him to come up with a plan. This could work out better for us than having to worry about a kid with zero film.

I’m most worried about the Zebras cheating us. It’ll be clear as day that the committee wants a rematch between Bama and OU, now with the former Bama QB leading OU. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Guess the way to look at this there is plenty of film on Hurts to scheme for him. Probably don’t know much about another QB especially if it is a newbie

If we were fielding the same team (with all the injuries) and same coaching staff, you would be 100% correct. But this won’t be the same team or same coaching staff. Until we see what the 2019 team looks like, I don’t think it’s delusional to think we could beat anyone, except Alabama or Clemson. Unfortunately, we won’t get a chance to see our team prior to the OU game, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

That’s fair. Just not excited to see a 230 pound quarterback who likes to run the ball when we’ll be scheming a new defense.