B12 expansion

Orlando Sentinel:

Evaluating top Big 12 expansion candidates

•Houston: Few schools have enjoyed the kind of political push that Houston’s received during this past week. From the Texas governor to school officials at Texas and Texas Tech, it appears everyone is in love with the Cougars. Don’t be fooled, these Lone Star endorsements are huge and make UH an early front-runner in the race. It doesn’t hurt that the school is going through a football renaissance under coach Tom Herman and the Houston television market is among the top 10 in the country.

Orr … as Rick stated in Casablanca

We’ll always have Paris

This article UCF-wise is looking more like For Whom The Bells Toll

Once the darlings of Fox sports … now they are the also rans with a program trying to lift itself out of mediocrity.

Even USF their apparent G5 hated rivals is looking better.

pray10, why do you think AZ State and UofA were reportedly intrigued by a Big 12 move? Same with UCLA? Posturing? I read that the Pac 12 Network doesn’t pay an incredible amount.

I don’t think they have any interest at all. There were a few reporters that started floating the ideas and somehow it became a story.

Here’s the article from Greg Hansen in Tucson where he floated the idea of UA/ASU maybe thinking about it. Somehow, Berry Tramel in OKC (Link) got hold of it and ran with it as UA/ASU want to get into the Big 12. Ever since then, folks have said that they possibly want to move. However, they own a stake in the Pac 12 network so they’d have to figure out a way to sell that stake back, pay whatever fees, and then join a conference that isn’t stable and doesn’t really offer anything better academically, or athletically. UA/ASU have greatly increased their academics since joining the Pac-12 as the conference shares a lot of research and money. I’d say there’s about a .1% chance that they’d move.

Rick Nueheisel was the one that floated the UCLA jump last week. There’s absolutely no chance UCLA leaves as #1 they are tied to Cal, #2 again, stake in the Pac12 network and #3 Neuheisel’s kind of an idiot. He’s trying to float the idea that UCLA is in an A&M situation where they are overshadowed by USC. Yes, sort of, but the Aggies sort of fit the SEC mindset while UCLA would be almost 1,000 miles away from their nearest competitor. It’s silly.

Pac 12 network is hurting right now because they are having problems with distribution which is why they are looking into getting a foothold in Asia. If they can pull it off and get distribution over there, they’d be golden. They’ve also started picking up some cable distributors lately which should help them with distribution in the area. Their big problem is not getting picked up on the Dish network. It’s tough for them because they just don’t have the reach that the B1G or SEC has which means there isn’t any interest in the East and, with no partners like ESPN/FOX, to get them added to their bundles, the Pac 12 basically has to sell their channel on their own.

It also hurts them in that they were the first of the P5 to get their current Tier 1/Tier 2 rights settled. At the time, their deal looked great in that they got $3B for 12 years. But as most contracts in sports go, the other P5 conferences used that as a stepping stone and got better/shorter deals which leaves the Pac 12 on the short end of the stick, barely ahead of the ACC (and once the ACC network goes online, they may pass the Pac 12).

The last issue the Pac 12 has right now is just a lack of starpower in both football and basketball. Chip Kelly leaving Oregon left them in a lurch and exposed the rest of the Pac 12 as not really having a team that could make the playoffs. Stanford is good, but will always have limitations. USC is struggling after the sanctions and the Lane Kiffin experience. UCLA, ASU, Arizona, and Washington keep falling short and the rest are mediocre. Same in basketball where they had a record 7 teams make the tourney and then were exposed because they gamed the RPI and weren’t actually good. Only 2 got out of the 1st round, Oregon was the only Pac12 team that made it out of the 1st weekend, and all 7 lost to lower ranked teams. Just a down period for the Pac 12 right now and it’ll be interesting to see if they rebound because they look like they may not have a playoff team for the 2nd straight year.

Honestly, the Pac-12 probably needs to expand just like the Big 12 does; need to get to at least 14 teams like the other conferences and bring in good athletic programs like Houston to beef up their conference. However, they seem extremely stubborn and are basically hoping either Oklahoma or Texas fall in their lap. Bigger question, if the Big 12 survives past their current contract and adds Houston, who will be left for the Pac 12 to add? They should really take initiative and extend invites to New Mexico and Houston; both fit their conference profile of strong research universities and would add huge regions for the network to expand. They can then wait out the Big 12 conference TV contract and hope a couple of schools shake loose. If not, UNLV may have their act together by then and maybe you look at a Tulane who hopefully is stronger in 7-8 years.

The point is, while none of their schools are probably in danger of leaving, they really need to be more proactive and look at the way the landscape is changing in college sports instead of waiting around hoping to hit the lottery.

1 Like

I’ve also seen/heard the “Colorado wants back into the Big12” rumors mostly from posters and not any articles.

NOW that one is intriguing … the buffalos have done absolutely ZIPPO since joining the Pac12 … unlike Utah.

This is totally a seat of the pants guess from left field … BUT …

Could the delay from Big12 in deciding their four … be pursuing this CU rumor.

I doubt it. The benefits of being in the PAC 12 academically far outweigh athletic revenues. Again, they also own a stake in the network which would make it hard to leave as they’d have to extract themselves. I think any talk of PAC 12 teams leaving are just pipe dreams by Big 12 boosters that are dreaming.

The PAC12 has not been able to get their calls answered by Direct TV/AT&T. Cox customers will finally have access to the PAC12 national feed. What it means is that until a few days ago “local” viewers could not see an out of town PAC12 game. This was not always the case.
Now the biggest question will be or is about what Direct TV/AT&T wants? Dish Network is rather small compared to them. Money is always the primary driving force behind any types of expansion. The PAC12 is no different. For that reason alone I am convinced that they are on going negotiations behind the scene. The PAC12 needs it even more now after the small12 decided to expand.
In case I find anything I’ll post it ASAP.

Lot more articles today, start with the national writers; again, apologies if these were already posted. I also changed the topic name to “B12 expansion” from “No B12 Expansion”:

RANKING THE BEST OPTIONS FOR CONFERENCE EXPANSION IN THE ALWAYS CHAOTIC BIG 12; PUNT, PASS & PORK
Andy Staples
http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-expansion-candidates-byu-uconn-1943319231.html?xid=cr_social

2. Houston

If we were going by the parameters established in Possibility No. 2, Houston would be the No. 1 choice. Last week, Texas president Greg Fenves and chancellor William McRaven voiced their support for Houston’s candidacy. So did incoming Texas Tech president Lawrence Schovanec.

There are a few theories about this. One is that if Houston isn’t voted in, the leaders at Houston’s fellow state schools can go the Texas legislature and say, “Well, we did our best.” Another possibility, reported by Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman, is that Texas helping Houston get into the Big 12 would encourage University of Houston officials to drop their opposition to potential University of Texas system expansion into Houston.

Based on the parameters established in Possibility No. 1, Houston is a good candidate but not the best one. The Cougars have a new stadium and an excellent football brand, but current Big 12 schools would not want a member school in the most fertile football recruiting ground in the league’s footprint. That move would give players a Big 12 and an SEC option (Texas A&M) closer to home than any other Big 12 school.

Could Houston be competitive in the Big 12 with the ability to recruit as a Big 12 team? Absolutely. TCU was competitive by its third Big 12 season. Houston could have a similar trajectory.

Tim Brando Facebook Post

Texas needs to back off and allow Houston to join.

Big 12 expansion evaluations will come soon. Houston’s ready to do ‘whatever we have to’

Great, great article if you haven’t read it

How the Big 12 can easily accommodate BYU not playing sports on Sundays

BYU plays almost all of its non-football sports in the West Coast Conference, which has demonstrated pretty easy ways to make a no-Sunday policy work.

DCTF guys take on Big12 realignment:

Very pro-UH, starts around 13-14 minutes.

Local Big 12 writers:

Why the ACC Network could spur the Big 12 to add four teams instead of two
http://newsok.com/article/5511075

But if the Big 12 adds four teams, it would severely damage the relationship with ESPN and FOX. That’s because expanding to 14 teams would likely mean adding a couple football lightweights. Teams like Central Florida and South Florida, Tulane and Colorado State would be in the mix.

Mitch Vingle: WVU’s Gee: Big 12 doesn’t want to be predators

“My view is we didn’t really address that issue directly, but one of the things we’re very interested in is a new kind of platform,” Gee said. “One can make an argument that in three or four years we’re going to be moving away from the traditional kind of [conference] networks. Frankly, from my point of view — and many points of view — I think that’s where we’re heading.”

“Houston is a very fine institution,” Gee said. “I know the leadership there and it has one of the best football coaches in America in Tom Herman. So I’m not surprised. I think what [Fenves] indicated, though, is he wouldn’t be opposed.”

“I think we certainly should have a national base, absolutely,” said the WVU president. “But we also have to recognize there are some wonderful institutions in Texas. We have four now in the conference and I think we will consider that as part of the overall package we are putting together.”

Welcome to the Big 12, BYU.

You too, Cincinnati and Houston.

When I asked readers which teams commissioner Bob Bowlsby should recommend for expansion, that trio finished so far in front of the other seven (unofficial) candidates that it wasn’t even close.

(Might be a subscription link)
Big 12 roundup: More expansion talk

Basically a roundup of articles on the web regarding Big 12 expansion; many of which I’ve linked to on here.

Local Expansion Candidate writers:

Big XII Texas Schools Express Support for University of Houston to Big XII

I don’t know that I can think of a business endeavor in which there are more educated, “book-smart,” intelligent people that looks more like the work of a bunch of high schoolers hepped up on caffeine pills than collegiate sports conference realignment and expansion.

Big 12 lure may erase UH’s opposition to UT’s expansion in Houston
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/07/big-12-lure-may-erase-uhs-opposition-to-uts.html?ana=twt

Described as a “backroom deal,” the University of Houston may end its opposition to the University of Texas’ expansion into the Bayou City for admittance into the Big 12 Conference, an official close to the deliberations reportedly told the Austin American-Statesman.

Kragthorpe: BYU’s proactive approach to Big 12 is refreshing

The biggest variable is whether the conference adds two or four schools. If Houston is in, because Texas always gets its way, is BYU the second pick? Or would Cincinnati or Connecticut fit the Big 12’s geography better?

BYU athletics: Cougars ‘putting best foot forward’ in hopes of Big 12 invite

With the Big 12 opening the door for conference expansion this week, BYU athletics director Tom Holmoe is ready to do everything he can to make sure it doesn’t close this time without the Cougars getting inside.

“This is something that’s been a long time coming,” Holmoe told reporters last week, “and now we’re trying to put our best foot forward.”

Why Boise State is better off not going to the Big 12
http://580kido.com/why-boise-state-is-better-off-not-going-to-the-big-12/

Boise State just adds a great football team that continues to defy the odds. The only way Big 12 expansion works for the Broncos is a football-only member along with BYU. I can’t see that happening considering the Big 12 has SEC/Big10 envy. Let’s keep our rivalries and our dominance within the Mountain West Conference for now. However if the Pac 12 called.

https://twitter.com/ECUAthletics/status/757669413659213824

Today’s link dump on expansion:

17 things that show how freaking long this Big 12 expansion story’s been going on

It’s been going on so long, poor SMU has now made three separate advances. Everyone from Notre Dame to Tulane has been considered a candidate. Florida State almost tried to join. Every top candidate has already changed conferences (BYU from the Mountain West to independence, Cincinnati and UConn from the Big East to the post-Big East, Houston and Memphis from Conference USA to the AAC) since it all started.

Sizing up what the top Big 12 expansion candidates mean for Kansas

HOUSTON - I’m a big fan of what Houston is doing right now, but I’m not sure Kansas should be. Houston, in many ways, is a bit of a sleeping giant and could really blow up if it lands under the Big 12 umbrella. That would not necessarily be good news for Kansas, especially the football program. Right now, KU football can go into Houston and get some of those athletes who do not choose to sign with Texas, Texas A&M, TCU and Baylor, occasionally even beating out UH for some of the same recruits. But if the Cougars are added to the conference, KU’s edge of being in a Power 5 conference goes away and it would make sense to assume that more than a few of those athletes would decide to stay home.

Four picks for Big 12 Expansion

In my opinion, the four teams that should get an invite to Big 12 are BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Tulane.

All four make sense in terms of TV market size, strength of their athletic departments and reputation.

East Carolina coming on too strong for Big 12 candidacy?

He declared the University of Houston’s campaign the “most extensive” and Brigham Young University the “most excited.”

And East Carolina University’s campaign? “Coming on a little too strong,” Olson writes.

The Sports Vessel: BYU, Cincinnati are prime Big 12 expansion candidates

For now, two is a safe bet. There are plenty of teams that would make excellent expansion candidates. But not everyone will get what they want from this. BYU and Cincinnati seem prime candidates, although Houston is knocking at the door.

SMU Athletics Reveals Future Facilities Projects

“This is a transformative plan for SMU Athletics and another tangible example of our commitment and desire to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics,” said SMU President R. Gerald Turner.

SMU is pouring $150M into its facilities to impress the Big 12
Think SMU has no shot at getting into the Big 12? They disagree, and made a BIG statement on why they belong on Tuesday.

From there, the press release continues with more details, though it seems like we hit all the key, pertinent info in those two paragraphs above. After all, doesn’t it seem like a bit more than coincidence that in those opening two paragraphs, the phrase ‘competing at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics’ is mentioned not once, but twice?

Big 12 expansion, examined: Focus on TV markets (Memphis slant)
http://columbiadailyherald.com/sports/college/big-12-expansion-examined-focus-tv-markets

As for Houston, would it greatly add to its Big 12 audience there? The conference has a presence in the market because of the University of Texas (more than 50,000 Texas alumni live in the Houston area). BYU, another oft-mentioned top expansion candidate, might be similar to Memphis in attracting new viewers on Saturday Big 12 telecasts. Salt Lake City has nearly 900,000 TV homes to Memphis’ 650,000.

ECU, Greenville, could gain millions with possible move to the Big 12

“Our numbers match up with every single school in the North Carolina market, go back and look it up,” Thomas said. “The Tar Heels do very well, but East Carolina and NC State are very comparable.”

What Houston endorsements say about BYU’s Big 12 odds

Finally, and potentially most devastating for BYU would be the Big 12’s willingness to wait on expansion to include AAC members. If the Big 12 can wait for Houston, what stops them from waiting for Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn, South Florida or Central Florida to clear their exit hurdles before expanding? BYU’s move to independence was largely influenced by the ability to join an expanding conference at a moment’s notice. If Houston can join the conference, one of BYU’s biggest bargaining chips may fall by the wayside.

Mountain West gave Big 12 permission to speak to its member schools

Thompson would not specifically identify what schools have interest in the Big 12, but did say two teams told him they plan to send info to the Big 12. There is also no reason to block Mountain West teams from leaving as Thompson has given permission for the Big 12 to talk to Mountain West schools.

The Mountain West had a vote about raising the exit fee to $10 million in May, but the presidents voted 6-4 against doing the increased fee (two schools were not there to vote).

Big 12 expansion talk highlights Boise State’s day at Mountain West Media Days

Commissioner Thompson did say it was “highly unlikely” that the Mountain West would keep the other sports should a Mountain West team’s football program leave for the Big 12.

Views: From top to bottom, NIU athletics not ready for jump to AAC
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2016/07/26/views-from-top-to-bottom-niu-athletics-not-ready-for-jump-to-aac/az8sw90/

But looking at all of the other athletic programs besides football, both the men and women teams, Northern Illinois has won just two MAC Tournaments the past 10 years – both coming from the men’s soccer team, in 2006 and 2011. Men’s basketball hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament in two decades. Volleyball has been the strongest with two MAC regular season titles in the past five years but only one NCAA Tournament appearance. Women’s basketball hasn’t finished better than fifth in the MAC West since 2011-12.

The Ticket in Dallas this morning spoke on expansion. Lots of great points about the pros/cons from Trammel’s article on expansion. Spoke highly, albeit briefly, about our candidacy. Mentioned we were #2 behind BYU in their mind. Cinci and Memphis were #3 and #4 should they go to 14.

Most interesting was that something like 25 schools have applied for candidacy in B12.

1 Like

The increase in revenue is probably the single biggest reason to join the Big 12 imo. I like the AAC but the revenues are going to make it difficult to keep high profile coaches, etc…

1 Like

I would say it’s the single reason. There are no other good reasons if you ask me. Well maybe that if others leave instead the aac might suck. But that’s it. I can’t stand the idea of b12 membership. Those schools are trying their best to shoot themselves in the foot as many times as possible. They are idiots.

2 Likes