B1G parents plan to visit B1G HQ to address Commish directly

I don’t get this. How does the HC of the football team not know the reasons behind the delay? Either he does not like the answer or their communications within PSU need to be improved. I think most parents would understand the reasons behind the delay (hint: it’s called a pandemic). It does not mean you have to agree with them or the “experts” helping them make the decision but his statement reads as though it is some kind of mystery.

1 Like

“Very little understanding of the factors contributing to the decision”

I am ashamed to be living on the same planet as someone that would say that. Does anyone doubt why the Vulcans are not ready to deal with the likes of us.

1 Like

This is getting ridiculous. They all know why the decision was made but they do not like it simply because the other conferences are going to play. Also, the other conferences are taking on the liability risk.

Let me say this as clean as possible.

The other conferences are not playing.

I think they’re going to at least start the season. If the virus cases do not get a lot worse than it is now, I think the season will start.

It is pretty simple, the B1G didn’t explain the reasoning behind it and then they get called out by one of their own doctor’s who called their data as terribly flawed. They leak out a vote count which wasn’t true and even one of their ADs are not sure a vote ever happended. Its been a huge lack of leadership by the B1G, lack of communication, etc. I won’t repeat all of their screw ups, but this is on the B1G. Their conference is a mess right now.

If they felt they had the science to prove they couldn’t play, which they probably didn’t as the UoM heart doctor pointed out, they should have shown conference leadership and taken it to the other P5s and G5 conferences and talked them into moving the season to the spring in unison along with collaborate with the NFL regarding a spring football season on the draft and so forth. They had all late spring and summer to do this and get the other conferences on board. But they did nothing. It comes across that they had planned to cancel for months.

Instead, they felt because of who they were they could cancel, not even commit to execute a spring season and then all the other conferences would follow suit. Now, with 3 of the other P5s fighting like hell to figure out how to play (w/o a bubble) their rushed decision to cancel fall has blown up in their faces. They are getting what they deserve with the bed they made for themselves.

Unless they change their decision, their only saving grace will be if the season blows up on the other conferences who are playing. But if that does happen, the SEC, Big 12, ACC, AAC, and other G5s will just delay the season to the spring with a re-start of some form or fashion. Not very different from what the NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA and LPGA, soccer, and NASCAR have done. The other conferences would just be executing their contingency plan. Right now the B1G doesn’t even have a commitment to play this spring.

If college football conferences and teams decide to move to bubble with a spring season, except for games, they probably easily pull off a spring season based upon what we’re seeing with the professional leagues. Right now a fall season is a significant challenge and the teams will need to have their players distance themselves from the rest of the student population. I admire those that have a strong intent to figure it out.

I’m surprised there isn’t an uproar in the PAC12. Maybe they do not care as much about football as the other conferences.
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Or people on the coast with larger media markets and research hospitals care more about death than football.

1 Like

Bingo!

Studies have shown that football has been dropping in interest on the west coast, from the potential for significant head injuries to just becoming more interested in newer X-Game types of sports.

Plus, they absolulutely have different views when it comes to the virus. Portland will confirm that.

A good portion of the B1G is way up there with the SEC regarding college football interest and support and other places not as much or as intense (east coast with NJ and MD). But I believe a great deal of this comes from university presidents having different view points on the virus compared to their SEC counterparts and a B1G AD that went along for a slight majority of the president without being smarter about how it all would go down.

1 Like

One of the big reasons the B1G is not playing according to Outkick The Coverage: Report: Michigan Governor A 'Roadblock To Ohio State's 6-Team Big Ten Football Plan – OutKick

Has there been any discussion of college players being in an actual bubble? I kind of assumed that was not an option

So that is why the NE is leading the way in deaths !!

Shocking !!! NOT !!!

This reasoning is wearing thin. Dr. Akerman, a Mayo Clinic genetic cardiologist, is a leading doctor in the field and well respected – even by the doctors on the east and west coasts. This arrogant view that doctors in New York and California are smarter and better than anyone in the states between them is just plain BS.

BTW, just yesterday the official death count, in the 19 counties that comprise the greater Houston area, was lowered by 39% due to data input errors that came to light. Also, everyone who goes for a test was automatically reported as positive while awaiting results of the tests. Negative results were supposed to be corrected retroactively, but in a large number of cases, they were not. Combine that with the report that all pneumonia and flu deaths are counted as COVID, it is clearly enough for me not to put as much faith in the fear mongering officials. But that’s just me; you are certainly free to continue with your opinion.

1 Like

I should have used a better choice of words particularly because of what has happened up my way with some “cluster spikes”

It has nothing to do with where you live or where you are from or your IQ.

It has to do with how folks prioritize or order their values.
-Safety
-Individual Freedom
-Science
-Faith

How you order those 4 words and others will indicate ones opinion on the football and mask issue.

And…the politics in NY favor none of those 4 items !!!

2 Likes

I have been listening very carefully for months and I have seen no evidence that it has been seriously considered by a conference or by teams. I am a bit surprised by it for if they really wanted to deliver colleigiate football this year, they could do it with a bubble. I am convinced that the issue that will stop them will be interactions with the general student population without masks and distancing. See the NBA’s and NHL’s success with the bubble and the issues with MLB was purely with players interacting unsafely in bars and other places like that. Also see the recent issues on college campuses and it all relates to not following simple protocols to keep the students safe.

You missed a big one. Which is the desire to get back to normal as a life as much as possible and live one’s life while living with the virus safely. All kinds of sports have been played since June and except for a few hiccups are executing successfully. The football players at the professional and collegiate levels just want to prove they can do it also.

I haven’t read anything on how CFB could work in a bubble especially when they have to go to class.

Well I guess it could work if they housed all athletes in one dorm with guards on the exits to make sure hookups do not sneak in. They would also have to take classes online. I’m sure university officials thought that it would not work or they would have done it.

Oh, I haven’t heard anyone speak to it which has been a surprise and we have had multiple professional sports having done it successfully such as the NBA, NHL, soccer, and the MLB is contemplating doing it for the MLB playoffs and WS.

How I would do it would house the football team in a separate or isolated dorm or a close to campus hotel. Have all their l classes conducted by online. If the class currently is not offered online, have the professor move it to online. So many classes have moved to online in recent weeks that were originally planned for face to face. So, it shouldn’t be that much of a challenge.

They are pretty much operating their football activities from a bubble concept from within pods and separation of units to keep them safe and healthy from within the team. Most teams are constantly emphasizing about being safe while in public and beating it into their heads. But it does not take much at universities for students to break into party mode from small to large crowds. To me it is the biggest threat. The only way to truly control it is under a bubble. No doubt in my mind I would be all for it if I was in their situation.

If the fall season blows up and they decide to move to spring, I am expecting they move to a bubble concept even if the environment is far safer then that it is today. Just my projection.

1 Like