Baylor magnanimously gives itself a bowl ban (Update: No they haven't)

In a way this could make Art look better and the U much worse. That makes it sound like Art didn’t want to be involved in off the field problems and that matters would immediately, by procedural design, be kicked up above him (AD office is certainly above HC). Then the AD and the U just looked the other way.

And the former AD is now at Liberty U which just had a win at New Mexico.

UH back then and recently have been trying to keep players in line.

When Art was HC I recall a 3-4 star skill position player who chose to attend UH. Once on the team this player decided to smoke what is now a legal substance in some states. He was caught and quietly left the team. This player could have possibly helped Art and his team.

Recently I met a former campus police employee who told me a very interesting story of an incident that happen in 2015. Let’s say that loss to UCONN involved UH campus police as much as it did UCONN.

Madame President was not happy. But in light of what is going on at Baylor, UH did the right thing in each incident.Of course I have not heard of UH players doing what those at Baylor did and would hope UH would never do what Baylor did to protect the team at all cost.

and also had win at Baylor last year

Are you trying to say Greg Ward was held out for something other than a sprained ankle???

No,

You’re going to leave us hanging like this?

If this is true then whoever was on the UH beat totally failed at their job. If something happens with a football player/coach and campus police knows then the media is finding out.

Remember two years ago where a UH player had a broken face because of some stupid team building activity? That would have been much easier to hide.

Either your source is bad or you’re making it up.

1 Like

No the source was a former campus police officer who also was involved directly with it.

Remember that Ward made the trip and even went into the game for a play but could not continue because he was hurt. This incident was supposed to have happened at UH before the game. Will not be giving names or specifics because I was not a part of this.

What is important is that it was taken care of by UH police, involved AD and Adm. in house and no one just looked the other way like Baylor.

Things happen in FB with players all the time. My cousin was a police officer in a town where the HS had won several state championships. During this successful time he pulled over a car that happened to be filled with intoxicated starters on the FB team. Once out of the car 2 of the linemen thought about jumping him and started at him. He quickly reminded them by showing them is holstered revolver and they backed down.

So, what did he do next? This is big time Texas HS FB and stupid kids.
He got the HS HC’s telephone number, called the coach, and had the coach and an assistant come to the scene and get the players. The team went on to win another state championship and no one in the local media ever new about it.

There were incidents going on during that time that weren’t reported. I hadn’t heard about the UCONN game, but I have heard about others that season.

This is a tragedy, imo. It just points out the the preferential treatment for athletes is real and justifies some people’s opinions of athletes in general. Call the coach? He should have called their parents after taking the kids to jail; just lock them up until mom and dad get there.

2 Likes

The reason an incident is kept in house when it involves University students is because School Police have the choice to give warnings and not arrest unless it’s a felony offense. School Police not only act as Law Enforcement but as administrators. They can choose whether a student should be punished administratively or through the court system. It’s no bug surprise. University administrators would prefer their students face administrative consequences to prevent ruining a college kids dumb mistake and have it ruin their future and to also allow for potential donating alumni to donate in the future. Its not some conspiracy that football players get special treatment.

1 Like

This is a big myth. Police are give the authority by the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure to dictate the adequate punishment for a crime. If those kids were driving while intoxicated, that is Driving Under the Influence(DUI) because they are minors. That is a class C misdemeanor. Now a police officer may recognize these kids and feel like they made a mistake and they luckily haven’t hurt anyone, so he decides he’ll let them off with a verbal warning. But because they’re minors, they have to be released into the custody of an adult. It’s easier to call one adult, the HC, instead of each one of their parents to pick them up. Also a lot easier to find that one number. The HC picks all these kids up and puts some fear into them, tells them they could face the punishment of not playing in the championship game, could restrict colleges from seeing them or could give bad recommendations to colleges about these players. So the players get scared about ruining their future and never do it again. Now if their parents come pick them up, chances are their parents aren’t going to tell the HC of their childs bad behavior because they dont want their kid missing playing time or losing scholarships.

College isn’t high school. If there was a campus incident with police and a player then the beat reporter either sat on it or isn’t any good because they don’t have good relationships and sources.

The cop in your story sucks and the coach is an even worse person.

This attitude is a big part of what is wrong with society.