Beard gets top transfer

It’s different because football and basketball are on two different levels right now. We we’re invited to the Advocare game and we played it because that was a big coup for the football program. To me, basketball is on a different level than the football program. We’re coming off a final four and our program has clout across the country now. By agreeing to a neutral site game in our city, UT would essentially be saying, “we’re too good for the Fertitta Center”. Now, (again, to me) if this was Pender’s Cougars, then that statement might be true and agreeing to them and playing that game would be beneficial because under Penders, our program was mediocre and averaging 1,000 maybe less per game. But under Sampson, I feel like our program is at a point where we don’t NEED to have a neutral site game in our city. We built the beautiful Fertitta Center and have a comfortable home court advantage in it. What benefit to us would it be to play them at the Toyota Center? To allow them to have more fans at the game? That accommodates THEM. If they don’t want to play in the Fertitta Center, then we could just call up another name program and play them. I feel like that’s where we are right now as a program.

Whew. All this typing for a hypothetical scenario that I doubt Sampson would even agree to.

I’m not sure if you went to UT for undergrad or something but I have to get some sleep. So, in the words of Anchorman:

1 Like

The benefits would be another guaranteed Q1 game, a marquee in-state game (might help with recruiting), and a little extra business for Mr. Fertitta. If UT agreeing to a neutral site game at the Toyota center equates to them thinking they’re to good for the FC, then wouldn’t it also mean we think we’re too good for the Frank Erwin Center? Now I do agree that we should be looking to bring as many marquee games to the FC. After all, a lot of money was spent on it so we may as well be putting it to good use. However, you could easily do both. This year for instance we’ve got a road game with Bama, a home game with Virginia, and a neutral site game with Okst. (as well as some filler home games and the Maui). If given the option I would trade the neutral site game in Ft. Worth with a neutral site game vs UT @ the Toyota Center in a heartbeat. Would they have more fans at the Toyota Center? Maybe. I honestly don’t know. I bet we’d have more fans make that game than the one in Ft. Worth. So maybe you could add that to the list of benefits. I’m not sure what the exact split was of the OU-UH game at NRG but if we were outdrawn it couldn’t have been by much. Plus by the 4th quarter their fans had gone quiet anyhow, so what effect did it even give them. Like I said, I doubt UT would go for the game anyhow but if they would take it and kick their ass.

1 Like

We give UT hoops too much credit honestly -

Play at home and that’s it. Why even waste time? What have they proven to play at a massive facility?

We’re living in Texas still

1 Like

No one is saying we need to schedule them. Just that if the opportunity arises its not a game to avoid. That’s it. Its a Q1 game. No reason to not have around 4-6 Q1 games in the non-conference every year. We shouldn’t be ruling out games simply because we dislike a team. Like I hate Baylor. I think they’re evil incarnate and that their athletic department should’ve been shutdown, but I’d be down to get them on the schedule because they tend to field strong teams (this year strong might be an understatement).

Then we could find another team to play. There are plenty of Q1 teams out there. Heck, we could fulfill this in conference play.

Great! It would be a fun game. Just at the Fertitta Center, NOT the Toyota Center.

Huh??? Dude, you’re all over the place. In this “hypothetical, hasn’t happened, probably won’t happen scenario” I personally think that it should be a true H&H. The Fertitta Center-Erwin Center. Nothing less than that. They come back with Toyota Center, no deal. Simply because, playing UT wouldn’t elevate our program. It’s already elevated. So, we wouldn’t have to cower to their demands like football would. We could just play another good team and improve our resume that way.

You obviously feel very strongly about this, so I respect your opinion. This is the last I will speak on this though.

What would be wrong with an annual holiday season Texas Classic, featuring rotating invites to UH, Texas, SMU, TAMU, Tech, and Baylor, hosted at a neutral site. Showcasing the strength of MBB in the state, it would be a great way to grab national media attention, plus a marquee event for recruiting and keeping the best Texas HS players home.

2 Likes

What you described is very different, from this “one game at Toyota Center scenario”.

Perhaps, doesn’t have to be a tourney (win and advance, etc.), just a series of games between the top Texas MBB programs scheduled sometime between Thanksgiving and mid-December. My point is that we should attempt to schedule the top Texas MBB teams on a recurring basis (UT, Baylor, Tech, etc). I think these types of games generate a tremendous amount of buzz. Both current and former UH students all have family members, friends, or coworkers that attended one of the Texas schools (OK, I don’t know too many SMU grads, to be honest). I know I would spend the cash on tix to attend such an event.

Let me see if I have this right. Someone seems to think that UH should only schedule games in Houston inside the ~7,000 seat Fertitta Center. I suppose they think that UH should not agree to play a Top 10 team at a neutral site in an ~18,000 seat venue in order to accommodate a much larger paying crowd. Heaven forbid that the UH AD try to make some money on a big nationally televised game.

In retrospect, what the heck was UH coach Guy V. Lewis thinking when he agreed to schedule UH vs UCLA in the Astrodome back in 1968 for the Game of the Century?

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m still talking about this. I’ll oblige though.
Is UT basketball the UCLA of the sixties? Is Beard John Wooden? I’m sure they will be greatly improved but this game would not come close to being compared to that game and circumstance. It’s not like we’re playing Duke, or Kentucky or Gonzaga here. I’m not saying don’t play UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, etc. They would be fun and beneficial matchups. But this isn’t football where we’re below them. We don’t have to make deals that put us in unfavorable circumstances. I think Sampson even mentioned that in an interview before.

Except in most cases playing at Toyota Center/NRG aren’t favorable for us. After rental fees and what not its really not beneficial. So yeah. I say stop playing games at Toyota Center that isn’t the Final Four.

If they want to play one game at Toyota Center I am fine with it.
If it is H&H no way I move the game away from FC.

1 Like

Any fees at the Toyota Center would be comparable or less than what we’re paying the Dickies Center to play games there. We’d also be able to get more fans to games at in Houston than in Ft. Worth.

Look we’re already making it a habit to schedule these neutral site games. Forget the opponent aspect. I’m just saying if given the choice, I’d rather play the “neutral” site game at Toyota Center than Dickies Arena in Ft. Worth.

2 Likes

We’re not unique in scheduling neutral site OOC games for MBB. It’s pretty common these days. For example, next December Texas is playing Stanford, UNC vs UCLA, Ohio St vs Kentucky. All the games are scheduled at the T-Mobile Center in Las Vegas.

I agree with you 100%. If we could get Baylor or UT at a neutral site (especially in Houston), we should schedule it.

2 Likes

Speaking solely for myself but Gonzaga is probably the game I want on the schedule the most. Especially after we were teased with a possible meeting not once, not twice, but three seperate times last year.

1 Like

I’d like to see us play the Tar Heels and Duke at some point. The scheduled UVA series is definitely a must-see/attend event as well. I can only think that with Coach being from Lumberton, NC, the opportunity to play these ACC Blue Blood programs will be memorable for both him and his family. I also would like us to schedule OU again. Similar to what I foresee at UT with Beard, I think Porter Moser will turn the Sooners into a B12 powerhouse.

Problem we have had, as I understand it, is we go there first, then the return trip is canceled or bought out . . . . . so my original statement stands . . . . .