Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1) - #10113 by FunkMasterMilluns.

Previous discussions:

2 Likes

Wow congrats UH folk. What an accomplishment.

9 Likes

I was eyeing the 10,000th post. Oh well. I’ll be 20,000th when we discuss Big 10 adding us after we achieve AAU status and win a natty in football

5 Likes

I can’t wait for the next wave of realignment to start in 2026 and people bump Part 7 of this thread with the “TOLD YA!!” post.

4 Likes

BIG12/pac12 part deux…coming to coogfans. Hang on to to your keyboard. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

As we get deeper into the off season the topics and posts become more and more meaningless.

Like Marlow finally departing the Outer Station and moving up river.

I just read the cliff notes on “Heart of Darkness”. What an amazing coincidence between that and “Apocalypse Now”.

“The horror, the horror”

1 Like

Indeed, my friend. Apocalypse Now is Conrad’s Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam. Incredible novel and most worthy film adaptation.

2 Likes

Dodd’s article presents a good viewpoint from Arizona’s President. They would entertain the idea of jumping if the numbers are no good. It depends on the deal.

“We could drive to Lubbock,” Robbins said of the location of Texas Tech, a Big 12 program. “Texas schools are good for us. Oklahoma State, it’s just not that far. It’s a two-hour flight.”

I bet Yormark has deals in place (under the table) with target schools…whether that’s two or four. If the Pac can’t get their act together, those deals would kick in and the target schools will be gone in an instant.

At this point, if I’m a Pac president, I ask myself who I want steering my ship…Kliavkoff or Yormark. The choice is so painfully clear.

1 Like

The problem is academics. UH needs to start making large jumps in academic rankings.

I don’t think that would help our conference alignment at this point, but I’d love to see it happen anyway.

It would.

Utah , Cal Stanford…and other PAC schools see us as good at sports, poor academically. That cannot continue unless we plan on poaching most of the schools.

The conference as a whole needs to push forward with improvement in their academic rankings. Only KU and IS is AAU.

Increasing our research spending is another important part going forward. Almost as critical as improving our athletics.

Wikipedia says they Iowa State is not anymore as of last year.

Only KU now.

ISU just dropped out.

Cryptic. Is he replying to Clownzano’s rumor of a deal on Tuesday involving ESPN Tier 1 and Amazon/Apple Tier 2?

https://twitter.com/jasonscheer/status/1637162734776369152

1 Like

Those two go at it daily. I don’t think Sheer would be so pro b12 if he didn’t know their (UA) stakeholders are too.

2 Likes

Yes

Academic “research” is going to be a very interesting dynamic in 10-20 years once AI has a bigger foothold in academics itself

The value of human knowledge is going to decline over the next handful of decades inevitably reaching a intellectual singularity where AI is as smart or smarter than humans, so I wonder how this changes the entire premise of what a university is if most humans won’t even need it at that point