Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

When UH opened enrollment for black athletes, it effectively desegregated the school. The fact that it was open to black enrollment didn’t mean blacks would jump at the chance to enroll. TSU was right there and was an attractive alternative. However, I certainly can’t think from the perspective of black students of that era - or now for that matter.

I was on campus from 75-79 trust me there were quite a few black students about 5k at the time I was attending here, my older brother who came in 1970 on FB scholarship lived on campus there were a quite a few black students on campus. Lynn Eusan Park on campus was named in (1976) after UH first Black Home Coming Queen who was raped and murdered in 1971. So far as I am concerned UH has a rich African American tradition. Maybe part of the reason some of our mates look down on UH.

Sept. 10, 1971

A 1970 UH graduate, Lynn Eusan was killed on Sept. 10, 1971. Locke said she accepted a ride to work from a stranger as she was walking in the rain. Her death officially remains unsolved

1 Like

I think you would have been a good fit.

4 Likes

Ashamed to say that all this time I thought Lynn Eusan was another old money aristocrat that helped fund the park. Thanks for posting this and educating some us Coogs on some of the deep and rich history of UH.

9 Likes

Believe me. I wasn’t as spoiled as they were!

UH integrated quietly in the summer of '62 using a 1-week media “blackout” similar to how Downtown stores & lunch counters quietly integrated in 1960 (see CoachV's Book Corner - #95 by stevo642)

UH’s integration is described on p.78 of Robert Jacobus’ excellent book “Houston Cougars in the 1960s”:

7 Likes

We traded in 7-11s for truck stops. :joy:

2 Likes

Where did you get this bit of information?

NOT true.

UT admitted its first Black student in1962…the same year as UH.

But athletically…UH was WAAAAAAAY ahead of UT.

The 1969 UT football team is considered to be the last “all white” national title winner.

Not until 1970, YEARS AFTER UH did UT put a Black player on their team.

So based on that, we were actually AHEAD of UT in the area of integration.

NEVER make a mistake to the contrary!

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

And the aTm bit is wrong as well.

UH integrated in 1962.

aTm integrated in 1963.

https://diversity.tamu.edu/Plan/Texas-A-M-s-History-of-Inclusion#:~:text=In%201963%2C%20Texas%20A%26M’s%20president,%2C%20research%2C%20and%20service%20institution.

1 Like

I attended our 1967 Ole Miss football game in Oxford.

Warren McVea became the first Black player ever to step onto that field.

It is famous. For threats against his Life.

He broke free on a Veer dive play and was headed for a TD. Out of nowhere Warren fell down. Did not score.

We lost 14-13.

Only later did we learn why McVea fell down.

By the way we were cursed with vile names and had whiskey bottles thrown at us.

In 1968 we went to Jackson and beat the crap out of them. Archie Manning was their QB.

In 1969 Archie and friends came to The ‘Dome and we again beat the crap out of them. Riley Odoms, Elmo Wright, and Robert Newhouse were amongst our players by then. And Jerry Drones. Lots of talent.

8 Likes

I’ve not heard this story… why did he fall down? Fear of the threats?

Death threats.

1 Like

Apparently, he was anonymously warned that if he scored a touchdown in that stadium, a sniper was going to ventilate his skull.

3 Likes

Heard that from Yeoman himself.

2 Likes

Wow… that’s terrible.

1 Like

Very sick.

2 Likes

Assume for the sake of argument that Arizona and Colorado bolt for the Big 12.

And the Big 10 responds by adding Oregon and Washington.

Would the Big 12 then take the remaining six Pac 12 schools (Cal, Stanford, Utah, Arizona St, Wash St, Ore St)? Two nine team divisions (with BYU joining the eight new Pac 12 divisions)?

Or do we take just enough Western teams to fill the 4th time slot consistently?

12+2+6

That would be 20 schools if we take all PAC schools except for Oregon and UW. Doubt B12 and TV partners will do that. Add 2-4 and let’s roll till 2036.