Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Monty x 2 yesterday on Apple - PAC.
MLS 2 Apple a bad fit so far & PAC should pay attention.

Ross Dellinger.

They think NBC Universal 4 PAC but its lower $.

2 Likes

Yep, only 10% of Apple’s 1% of the market is going to watch games. This is so pathetic of the PAC10.

2 Likes

ESPN has said the PAC was going to announce the new TV deal at their respective media days, however now it’s been shut down by most everyone

I would anticipate CU, UA & our commish to move quickly

1 Like

Nobody watches MLS and nobody is going to watch the PAC…especially since both will be on an island 99% of the market does not have.

1 Like

I kid you not. Everyone is going to watch MLS now that Messi is with Miami

I doubt it.

2 Likes

Nah…didn’t happen with Beckham or any of the other ‘over the hill’ players not good enough to play in Europe anymore.

Now add the fact at BEST…viewership is only 1% of the market for Apple unless they get increased exposure on ESPN.

I listen to Houston sports radio all day, every day, and the Dynamo never even come up…the World Cup didn’t even come up. I even listened to the most soccer friendly station, 97.5, the day after the championship and they got ONE call about the final match WITH Messi…and it wasnt even from a soccer fan…just a casual American fan

2 Likes

I get Kliavkoff, the PAC10 conference and the potential have-nots in playing this waiting game to stall the inevitable but what I’m confused by is Colorado and Arizona’s leadership in humoring this nonsense and charade.

3 Likes

There reluctant brides.

2 Likes

Who?

1 Like

And what?

I like soccer.

I’ll probably watch a match or two if Messi is on but I’m not getting Apple TV. It would need to be on a normal cable station, and I’ll stumble upon it channel surfing.

Much like I caught the CONCACAF games this year. It was never planned. I just happened to find the game on cable.

2 Likes

Don’t put money on it.

Beckham’s arrival didn’t result in everyone watching MLS.

4 Likes

Keep dreaming.

1 Like

The soccer fans are out there and the league is definitely growing…Look at all the expansion teams and revenue is top 10 in the world now.

I wouldn’t assume based on sports talk radio that there isn’t fans out there. Most of these hosts were brought up in an era where soccer was an afterthought in the US. Not to mention, I can guarantee that the Texans pay these guys to talk about Football non stop. I heard Matt Thomas even mention that he had to talk about the Texans last year even though they sucked. People like John McClain are one dimensional and it’s all he knows, Lance Zerline whose dad was a football coach. Of course most callers are going to be Pro Football which is going to sway other callers away but the fans are definitely out there….

4 Likes

Its a niche market.

Yes, its the most popular sport in the world but its an after thought here.

Hope this puts in perspective. Texas has a majority Hispanic population yet we have ZERO P5 Men’s soccer programs in the state…ZERO and there is no outcry to add programs…crickets.

There is a glass ceiling for Mens soccer infrastructure in the US beyond High school.

Our only hope is the MLS but them signing with Apple, much like the PAC signing possibly signing with Apple, proves there is not a lot of demand.

But yes, i credit the MLS for their aggressive expansion strategy…only time will tell if its sustainable but im not running out to get Apple because an aging Messi is now playing for Miami

2 Likes

MLS recruits in many more areas than American Universities. There are a lot of avenues the league uses to recruit players. You won’t see it by looking at Power 5 schools and if they have any soccer programs . There are lower leagues they can recruit from, a lot are recruiting out of high school which is similar to baseball. Many teams recruit in countries like Canada, Honduras, Jamaica, and Panama…countries where the Mexican & South American leagues won’t recruit players…These countries are becoming more competitive these days because of the MLS. The league is growing but there is still a ways to go as far as it being a top choice for a lot of the American youth wanting to start playing over the top 3…

MLS isn’t likely to overtake either the “Big Four” (NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL) or even I-FBS college football or DI college basketball in terms of either viewership or fan following anytime soon.

All of the Big Four leagues enjoy the privilege of being their particular sport’s TOP professional league worldwide.

MLS?

Not close. Barely a Top Ten pro soccer league globally.

Nowhere near the same level of the Big Four.

3 Likes

MLS is the top off season League. Its like Basketball with the African League or the Baseball with Australian Baseball League. Its solid enough, but only real local fans or the Ultra Ultra diehards will watch. And even those fans have a favorite team in a bigger League and the players have aspirations of going up to something else like Bundesliga or EPL.

MLS will never overtake anything here. That doesn’t mean it won’t grow and it won’t be more popular due to one of the most popular players in the entire world. All the stadiums will be full just to see him play.

Soccer though is the most popular sport in the entire world. The big 4 won’t ever compete.