Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

That $24.6M offer from ESPN for the PAC10, was before the Big12 started negotiating with ESPN and FOX. ESPN has all of SEC, ACC and most Big 12.

On the second tier of football, ESPN also has all of the AAC and Sunbelt so ESPN is pretty full with thier programming line-up.

The only thing I think ESPN wants from the PAC10 is their late night on Fridays and Saturdays which is not worth $24.6M.

Since the Big12 got its deal done first, the PAC10 is looking for scraps.

5 Likes

Is there more demand to see an average Pac12 team, say Arizona, than USF? Great move for SMU. They’ll take some prime time Friday night games and get the PAC on CST TV for conference home matchups.

No one wants to watch USF. I think Arizona has brand growth potential on top of elite basketball. That’s a no brainer choice!

2 Likes

It was before those things, but it was also an initial offer and it was before they lost the Big Ten. They don’t need all of it, but if they lose the Pac-12 content they will be short on P5 content. I don’t know how much that matters to them, but in combination with weeknight games and midnight kickoffs and additional ESPN+ content it could still be worth $25m. Or more. Or less.

Sure seems like more of a buyer’s market than it was when that offer was made. Glad we took the deal we did.

2 Likes

so SMU will have better attemdance for Arizona than USF. Likely more Zona grads in DFW than HTown.

The SEC wants more coin from ESPN. We know now why they wanted OUT next year.
A 9th SEC game w 3 permanent rivals vs 8 SEC games a 1 permanent rival.
For ex:
" Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU" vs Bama v Auburn ?

ESPN gives them the potential PACs $ ?

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/10/sec-football-future-schedule-format-texas-oklahoma

Amazon has got to want in on these Bally Sports media rights.

Just a few of these properties could supercharge the value (to consumer) of their planned sports app.
How many people reading this will watch 100 + Astros games this year? (Stros not part of Bally deal)
MLB regionalized but still a cash cow like Hockey.

Amazon gives them the potential PACs $ ?

The pac is trying to survive until our media contract expires in 2030/31. This coincides when the acc media deal expires around the same time.
Looking at the eonomics I do not see how smu and SDSU can bring enough value.
Looking at National media markets:
Cinci - 36 Cincinnati, OH
BYU - 30 Salt Lake City, UT - But they have a National following
UCF - 17 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL
U of H - 8 Houston, TX
pac:
smu…but remember TCU is with the BIG12 - 5 Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
SDSU - 27, San Diego, CA - SDSU does have a very large number of alums living all over SoCal.
Looking at the above the pac made a huge mistake especially not inviting U of H, TTech and smu. The same can be said about BYU since there is a very large number of BYU alums living in SoCal and population of the Mormon faith.
Could the pac “create” a pac pod belonging to the big10? The big10 would then have two divisions.
Standing alone I can’t see the pac getting any real media contracts to rival ours. The pac contract expires in 2024 I believe. IMO the pac is on the verge of imploding. This is why we are not seeing any meaningful noise on a true media contract. Being at an smu bball game is one thing…it looks like a Hail Mary to me.

1 Like

This freaking Monty guy is so freaking entertaining.

6 Likes

It may seem counterintuitive (or may not) but more SEC conference games actually more less content for SEC. Most SEC teams play three home games out of conference, which this will more likely reduce to 2 or 2.5. Still a win for ESPN because quality over quantity.

Re: Bally Sports

The Ourand/Marchand with the Fox exec was interesting where he talked about that. Said that the main value of the regionals was that it was bundled with other content. He sounded very not surprised that their value plummeted once that was no longer so. It sounded like they sold it not out of some reading of the market but that because of FS1 and FS2 the marginal value of that part of their bundle to the networks was no longer worth the administrative distractions.

SPECULATION WARNING:
Regarding Amazon, the sticking point there is that MLB has its own streaming platform and while occasionally toss games to other streaming services having Amazon as the destination for home teams is something they’d have to think hard about. Some MLB teams are talking about buying their local networks, which seems a little more likely to me.

In a 12 game regular season schedule. 9 conference games still leaves room for 3 non conference games, that’s down to 1 non conference game from their current schedule of 4.

@TucsonCoog can answer for how popular the Arizona Wildcats are since he lives there.

My thinking was that they would be going from 3 home games and one away game to 2 home games and one away. But if it’s one OOC away game every year either way I guess it’s actually still the same, so disregard.

Which PAC 12 university bolts first?

• Arizona
  • Arizona St.
  • Colorado
  • Utah

0 voters

2 Likes

Should include a none option. No pac12 school is joining the big12.

Big12 should focus on integrating new schools and move on.

1 Like

I think the odds have improved and are the highest ever. Lots of discontent over there.

1 Like

Just floating this out there…What if the B12 allowed AZ, OR, and WA to let their little brothers, AZ St., OR St. and WA St., in as a package deal. It would certainly take the state politics out of it. It would nail down those states and give the B12 a true west coast division. It would give the networks interesting content for late Saturday games. Oh, and it would kill the P12 as we know it.

We know the state schools aren’t as attractive as their big brothers, but do we know how much they dillute the value of the two combined?

In business, to get the deal done, sometimes you have to look at the totality of the deal, rather than it’s individual parts.

The Big 12 is not in a position to be charitable. No Oregon State or Washington State but Arizona State is okay since they are in the Phoenix market.

B12 would get stuck with Oregon St and WSU once Oregon and UW get the B10 invite.

4 Likes

Oregon State and Washington State would go to the MWC. There is no need for us to travel that far for a game and no one on the west coast is watching it.

2 Likes

Oregon State and Wazzu have no business being P5. Especially Wazzu.

2 Likes