Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

I hope Mr. McMurphy’s sources are better than Chris Broussard’s.

8 Likes

Yeah WSU and OSU are dead men walking as far as I am concerned. They are both in small towns with little fan bases and no national following.

I mean, WSU’s stadium is the smallest of any P5 conference school.

CAL and Stanford have way too much money. They will land on their feet. I could see the BIG or Big 12 taking them too. I mean UH in a conference with Cal and Stanford? We should be paying them for that relationship.

5 Likes

Slow down on that one. We earned our spot.

3 Likes

I think if Stanford and Cal are out there, the XII grabs them and goes to 18. Three pods of six would work well and limit coast-to-coast travel, plus all four of those schools depend on exposure in CA, not only for athletes, but for students more broadly. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the XII make a play for CA, even if Stanford and Cal are gone and it means reaching for SDSU and SJSU.

Why would we want them? Honest question. Their own fans don’t care about them, college football fanship in general is almost non existent in the bay area, their administrations seem to be the nerds who looked down on the jock football players in high school and college, and the California and Texas legislatures seem to be at odds with each other with no resolution in sight. Again, why?

3 Likes

Because we want at least some market presence in the largest state in the union and the other four schools we’d be adding depend on that state for recruiting.

1 Like

We definitely earned our spot in the Big 12, although we also had luck on our side (which everyone needs now and then).

No I mean the opportunity to work with them on R&D, investment opportunities, etc. These are the sort of relationships that are generated from conference affiliation. Its why the BIG is so strong. They all work together for R&D, grants, etc.

2 Likes

U Dub is way way more important than you think

Alaska plays football?

3 Likes

If Cincy/UCF and WV left then you basically merge the Big12 and the PAC teams that are interesting and then chill until the ACC gets raided.

Oregon/Washington/Washington St/Oregon St as a pod

Arizona/Arizona St/Utah/Colorado and the Big12 basically runs half the country.

1 Like

“AzDesertSwarm” is The Wildcats’ web page for athletics.

Today they have an article on this topic and conclude it by saying that Arizona may have to look at The Big 12.

So things may well go that way. The Big 12 takes what it wants.

3 Likes

Yep.

Bowl games are probably dead too. It will be a playoff system of some sort. One company will probably handle the entire thing for the “Power League” or whatever the heck it will call itself. That company will negotiate the logistics, media rights and likely the NIL for the whole league.

See, this is also a way for the big schools to actually get a handle on the NIL situation. If they make it so that a player who wishes to play for a Power League school has to follow the NIL rules for those members, then the players will have less leeway in transferring, outside money deals, etc.

Of course, this also means that all of these schools will be subject to tax on all their athletic earnings going forward; the likelihood that the IRS will allow them to claim NFP status is slim to none. Players will likely also have to pay tax on their earnings.

I could even see a scenario where athletic scholarships are eliminated, and instead the player’s NIL is simply increased so that they can pay for school if they choose to go. Who knows if they will even have to.

Again, amateurism is dead people; for all those weeping for the changes that are going on, remember that the NCAA could have fixed all this, but chose not to. Rather than letting players earn money 30 years ago, they drew a line in the sand. Now the sand has been melted and turned into glass, and the NCAA fell through the floor and is dead.

Proving the old adage, “Pigs eat and hogs get slaughtered.”

1 Like

Or perhaps there will still be a four team playoff with the four teams being the champions of the four remaining power conferences.

Possible. I just think they have to expand to feed all these mouths. Four team playoff just doesn’t provide enough cash. I could see something like a 8-12 team playoff. There is just too much money on the table to leave well enough alone.

ACC is picky. IMO, if they wanted WVU they’d already be there.
It is interesting though, I always figured the ACC or Big 12 would be chewed up and spit out, not the PAC 12.

2 Likes

This isn’t the same world it was yesterday. Faced with losing four to six teams the ACC might get a little looser.

The ACC will still get raided by the SEC. Clemson and Florida State, and possibly Miami.

ND to the B1G at some point.

2 Likes

Are they willing to listen, especially with the ACC deal with ESPN. I know they can renegotiate per the clauses inthe contract if they add new members, but will the new members bring sufficient revenue to replace the ones that leave? ACC could end up being in the same position the PAC is finding itself in

1 Like

GOR is GOR

But it will eventually expire and the ACC would be wise to soberly consider the landscape and think pro-actively rather than re-actively.

Incidentally, Miami is in a rough spot because they’re the one strong school I don’t see either the SEC or Big Ten taking. That is potentially something we can use to our advantage (or maybe not, I doubt they see the situation realistically…)

2 Likes

I agree I see Miami as potential add to the B12 as long as UCF stays put. Actually UH have some history together in the early 70’s when they weren’t that good.