Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

My bad. That was meant to be marked as speculative. Was going over the G5s in my head and asking myself who would get in before those two (that would accept an invite). I found that list to be pretty short: Definitely South Florida and probably Memphis, Navy if interested… maybe UConn and SMU… then… probably those two. UAB may be up there but I don’t think so. I would not be surprised if Temple and Tulane are ahead of a lot of those schools.

espn is ONE of the players. Who is to say that Amazon, Apple or others do not come with a Brinks truck full of cash?
Don’t be so sure friends. madcowsu and the stinky rodent did try to kill off the BIG12. That is a fact.

The university of ____ ran off Arkansas. Then it ran off Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri. It pulled off the impossible hat trick of running off &, who was tethered to them like an appendage.

Now the howling deranged trust fund hag has finally found a husband in the SEC she can’t dominate. Or can she shoot for the golden sombrero and run off Missouri twice?

1 Like

I imagine the sec is regretting Missouri. That place is a mess. So, yea, they’d love ut to get rid of them.

I agree. But Missouri isn’t the rabble rouser in this scenario. Its a fine school with a multitude of social issues. But I’m sure its a good conference mate. Sometimes, when you’re at committee or leadership meeting you just need to hold your hand up and say, “yea” with the rest of the group. Agreeing builds unity and fraternity. The Univ of ____ has never had to agree with the group. They basically made the rules everywhere they’ve been. We’ll see how it goes down. I have my popcorn.

Lsu, Bama, Ga , Auburn etc aren’t going to bend to UT. UT is amping equals now like said. They are in a new world finally. They gained money and prestige they didn’t need and could have been more than ok in the big12 , especially with a 12 team playoff. It worked out perfect for us though bc like mentioned, if they didn’t leave , we don’t get that invite so it worked out perfect for us and for what happens to them trying to control the sec which ain’t gonna happen.

1 Like

PAC is scroomed. What a mess. And they still gotta get a media deal. And decide upon expansion. And secure GORs from the members. Not envying them right now.

2 Likes

You know its the same mess as the day USCLA left. Kliavkof is a man without leverage. The only leverage in the entire scenario is what Oregon and Washington have to hold the conference over a barrel. Kliavkof is a nice guy but he was duped by the USC prez and from that day forward they were screwed. Their TV deal is going to suck. There’s no way to massage that.

The conference was arrogant with LA. But it was LA that provided the arrogance. Now they’re a shell of what they were and they don’t even know who they are now.

McConnell tried to block the WVU entry to the Big 12 and get Loserville, in but he failed. In my mind the most successful use of political power to influence conference expansion was the pressure brought to bear in Virginia to get Virginia Tech initially invited into the ACC instead of Suckarsecuse. Originally the ACC raid on the Big East was targeting Miami, Boston College and Suckarsecuse, and because of political pressure the Orange were out and the Hokies were in.

Louisville would have been the better add for the Big 12

2 Likes

I think eventually Louisville and Pitt will be in the Big 12.

1 Like

With Cincinnati and other city schools coming in, Louisville might be the better fit now. At the time, though, WVU was the state flagship and landgrant U in a conference full of state flagship and landgrant universities. Politics and culture not too far off, either. Geography was the only weird part (and Louisville isn’t that much closer).

I said at the time that the Big 12 needed to go east in a bigger way, grabbing WVU, Louisville, and Pitt (when they were available, then Cincinnati when they weren’t). I think my view has been shown to be correct, but for our sake I’m glad they didn’t go that route because essentially Louisville would have our spot in the future Big 12.

(I also thought they should have picked us instead of TCU. TCU was by far the more accomplished program, but they already had DFW locked in and we have our huge alumni base and more upward potential. Obviously, though, TCU worked out pretty well for them. Their ceiling turned out to be higher than I thought.)

As for going forward, both the Big 12 and ACC (unlike the Pac-12) have prohibitive exit penalties for anything but a move to the SEC and Big Ten. I’m coming to the belief that neither is going to be able to pick off teams from the other. I’d love to bring in Louisville, Pitt, and some others if we could, though.

Add Colorado + Arizona + Arizona State+ Utah

Then pick 4 of the best ACC schools not invited to the B1G/SEC:

Louisville
Pitt
Miami
North Carolina State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech

We could end up with a really good 20 team conference.

This is why we don’t panic and add Gonzaga as a Basketball only school.

There will be far better Basketball + Football options out there if we play the Long game

2 Likes

L-Ville and Pitt are schools 17-18 for Big XII. Its just who is 13-16 and beyond that is the question.

https://twitter.com/rltsports/status/1617917730954579969?s=20&t=P_QmOTsxJ_4Di9_X-jphVA

1 Like

Hatred of ______ is fine, but don’t let it get the better of you. Frank Broyles the Arkansas AD is on record saying that the move was all about money. They got a check for $6M the day they joined the SEC, and weren’t too pleased with having to payout a lot of money to the small SWC programs when they visited Arkansas but getting a pittance in return, when Arkansas visited them.

and how well has that worked out for them(Arkansas)?

I’m sure that they have laughed all the way to the bank!

2 Likes

They have the money but have lost out on success and relevance. Is that not the end goal?

2 Likes