Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Just to double-check, are we planning to bring them in as basketball only members, or as all sports members?

The reason I ask is because bringing in UConn as an all-sports member would really be a bad look in football, reputation wise.

3 Likes

Desperate times require desperate measures the B1G and SEC have like a 40 million dollar gap between us and them. So out of the box thinking is required to close that gap. Don’t want folks thinking it’s a P2 because in reality that is what could happen a few years down the road. So I see a move too make the B12 a hybrid conference with great football who can hang on the field with the SEC and B1G, but who dominates CBB is smart strategy with the consumate revenue rewards to go along with that domination is a brilliant strategy.

Again
UH will get a full share of the TV contract money and resources to replace. Gonzaga on the other hand would be lucky to get a quarter of the TV revenue money. They will not have the resources to replace. Just success for 20 years like Boise State had in football which doesn’t guarantee much if your coach leaves
Nobody knows where conference realignment is heading but adding Basketball or Football only members is a risky move

And the Big 12 sitting still and doing nothing is also a risky strategy.

no to UConn, yes to Zags basketball only

2 Likes

Who says they are doing nothing ? They need to continue to wait to see what happens with Colorado and Arizona along with other ACC schools in the future
The new version of the Big 12 hasn’t even began playing any games yet and already want to start adding Basketball only members
not a good look. Looks like a desperate move

10 Likes

how is wanting the Zags for basketball a desperate move? if the Big 12 doesn’t get them someone else will.

From the article: “It was made clear that a move to the Big 12 would not be made without the support of football coach Deion Sanders”

Not sure a new football coach who may not be there for the long term should have veto power over a decision this important.

2 Likes

What other conference is going to get them ?

1 Like

That statement was probably to stroke Prime’s ego a bit. Of course they don’t care what he thinks. They’re just not going to say it.

7 Likes

who wants them
lol

They’ve been available for the taking all this time.

The only conference desperate enough to entertain adding them is the Big 12

PAC- No and they are looking to possibly add SMU and SDSU
B1G- Never
SEC- Never
ACC- Nope, and they are a Basketball first conference.

BIg East- They are a Basketball ONLY conference and they don’t want them

Any of those Conferences could have added Gonzaga.

For the Big 12, it is WAY out of our footprint, a basketball only add, and in a small market and it is a small private school of 7,000 students
Why??

This is a horrible idea
short sighted and turns the Big 12 into a Hybrid Conference which isn’t the direction we should be heading in. We have better Football + Basketball options if we wait a little longer

1 Like

Prime will play in any conference the powers that be who make those decisions, say he’ll play in. They cut him the check not the other way around

1 Like

Since Colorado has been talking to the Big 12 for several months, I assume Deion Sanders gave his approval to move to the Big 12.
:wink:

2 Likes

Is it me or is all this absurdity a product of the off-season? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Absurdity?

Like, you don’t believe any of it?

Then yes, it’s you.

Make it happen!

footprint? the Big 12 is going to go from Utah to West Virginia to Florida. Gonzaga is a national brand. Times have changed, they will not be in the WCC much longer.

The Kliavkoff and the PAC were talking to them before Yormark was.

Personally, I think Yormark talking to Gonzaga was more of a c-ock block to the PAC.

Dangling the possible carrot, and letting Gonzaga know they may prematurely join a conference (PAC) that is about to potentially lose Arizona right after.

2 Likes

Comparable to SEC football was the wrong way for me to word it.

As an example only, if the share of annual media revenue in Big12 is $10 mil per year today, and Yormark brought in Gonzaga & UConn (basketball only) then maybe Yormark could renegotiate the basketball only side of new Big12 contract to $13 mil par team (including Zag & UConn).