Big 12 vs the mouse

Abbott is a Longhorn. Why would he try and hinder them from bettering their situation? If the answer from Baylor fans is "Well he shouldn’t be biased and should help the other state schools, go back in history and look at Ann Richards and Bob Bullock, then go look in the mirror and say to yourself “Karma is B****”.

3 Likes

After thinking about it I don’t think the Longhorns are better off. The Aglets aren’t right?

Fixed it.

Maybe they can go dig up Ann Richards to save them again. They also need Bob Bullock.

2 Likes

Need Bullock an f ton more than they need Richards.

3 Likes

John Skipper discusses ESPN’s possible role in Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC (awfulannouncing.com)

“It’s worth noting that none of this necessarily carries any legal consequences for ESPN. Even the Big 12’s letter was just a cease-and-desist, not an actual lawsuit. And even if a lawsuit is filed, that’s not necessarily a winning proposition for the conference. For one, proving tortious interference is hard, and even if Bowlsby has the “irrefutable” evidence he claims he does, that doesn’t necessarily lead to a notable court win. The conference also may not exist by the time anything happens in court.”

“And it’s worth mentioning that there are interpretations of these circumstances that don’t involve tortious interference. The defense is absolutely not “First Amendment rights” (which are about government and the press), despite what some law professors might claim, as this isn’t about ESPN’s news side or its reporting or governmental interference. A more reasonable defense might be that hypothetical discussions between ESPN business-side executives and conference/school officials about what rights deals might look like in a different conference setup aren’t violating existing contracts, perhaps especially if the schools or conferences reached out first, but maybe even if they didn’t.”

“Rights contracts would have to be written very explicitly to prohibit those kinds of hypothetical talks, and it’s unclear if these ones are, or if they even could be. And it’s notable that the basic numbers here on what would be needed to make a move make any sense for both sides can be calculated from previously-reported information. So ESPN’s actual involvement could be as simple as saying “Yes” or “No” to a SEC question of “Will you pay us this much more if we add these schools?””

1 Like

Yeah I think they need a highly specific thing ESPN did that crossed a line.

Judging by ESPN’s response they didn’t cross it.

3 Likes

So far their response is a standard response, not particularly indicative of anything. But it’s a very high bar and the remnants are going to need a huge smoking gun to clear the bar.

And don’t get me wrong I actually think Mickey is guilty af. I just don’t think Bowlsby will meet the bar to provre it.

1 Like

Ken Starr to the rescue. Baylor fans are really making me laugh. If your only hope is a lawsuits, you have already lost. Keep talking about P5s, its the only thing you had over UH and recruiting is going to suck for them now. Realty hasn’t set in yet but once it does Baylor better hope to just be on the same level as UH instead of below.

8 Likes

FACTS

And they are a PRIVATE school always so quick to reach out to big government. How ironic

3 Likes

Do you really want to sue the hand that feeds you?

2 Likes

ESPN has their finger in multiple pies . Big 12 knew that when they signed with them. ESPN has to be able to conduct its business, which includes working with and improving other conferences.

They’d have had to go really, really far out of bounds to have any liability here.

3 Likes

Great, now I can’t get Jim Dandy to the rescue (with JD replaced by KS) out of my head.

#earworm

1 Like

Go Ken Starr Go!
I didn’t know there was a 70s version.

1 Like

Well let’s not pretend that boundaries or rules really apply to power brokers at that level. They rarely do and power brokers act accordingly.

I do agree it’s going to have to be really egregious and obvious paper trail included. Like I said I have no doubt that they absolutely did what they are being accused of but just like OJ not going to get proven in court.

1 Like

The hateful 8

8 Likes

Yikes, BOA - had repressed that memory

warning to our younger and more sensitive readers, play video at your own risk - you can’t “unsee” it

1 Like

I should"ve stuck with the original, Lavern Baker but. I love anything on the Midnight Special. Life before MTV

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-and-oklahoma-to-sec-live-news-updates-as-football-powers-leave-big-12-ignite-conference-realignment/live/amp/

“The accusations you have made are entirely without merit," said Burke Magnus, ESPN president of programming and original content. “Apart from a single vague allegation that ESPN has been ‘actively engaged in discussions with at least one other’ unnamed conference, which ESPN disputes, your letter consists entirely of unsubstantiated speculation and legal conclusions. To be clear, ESPN has engaged in no wrongful conduct and, thus, there is nothing to 'cease and desist. We trust this will put the matter to rest.”

3 Likes