Big uglies

Well, I was sitting in row 11 right behind the UH bench at Aloha stadium and from my POV our Oline towered over Fresno’s Dline yet was getting manhandled. I DVR’ed the game and watched it yesterday. It gave me a better view of our Oline getting tossed around by smaller defenders. Sad!

They were just so much quicker.

1 Like

That really was it. Fresno was very quick, and we don’t have speed on offense. As for the dive, it’s a play you have to run in the read-option kind of like you have to run it with the wishbone. Notice how Navy and Army do with much smaller linemen than UH. I would guess B. Jones and Denley would start at guard next year. Jones is 6’3, 311, Denley 6’4, 308. So we’re not small. But we don’t read on the read option. You would see more running room if we did. Hopefully King or Smith will be able to do that after a lot of reps in spring ball. The dive also sets up play action. If you watch college football you’ll see other teams running up the middle as well. But we did force it too much. Nothing looks more inept than a dive or a WR screen getting stuffed.

We improved a little bit this year from last season, but not near enough to be the type of team we want to be. We have to get lots better at that position next year.

1 Like

Big for sure but how explosive are they at the snap and over the first 5 yards on a run play?

Also, how strong are they?

I’m told B. Jones is a beast. I did see him make a few pancakes this year. He played DL at Tyler and was recruited by some other schools for defense, so I would think he’s got some quickness. Denley is the fastest OL on the team, but I don’t know how strong he is at the point of attack. He started several games in '16 and I think '15 and appeared to be more effective than Fontana. We’ll see. I would assume that Denley or Eloph will start at RG next year unless the JC recruit plays there and wins the job.