Boise not happy with MWC contract

Does Boise have any leverage? Small market. Indy is not an option. No P5 conference expansion.

Boise State was originally on list to be part of AAC if my memory serves me correct, along w AF as well I think. Any how they backed out late in game n i think that’s where Tulsa n possibly Tulane came into picture. I know BoiseState backed out. Let me call Aresco he will fill me in.:smiley:

Exactly! BSU is not coming to the AAC. It’s going to be a war of words between BSU and the MWC.

Their membership contract gives them an irrevocable right to negotiate their own contract in perpetuity. Changing those terms would be a breach that could cost MWC a lot of money.

2 Likes

Have a feeling BSU and BYU will want to be the TU of the AAC. IF they are ok coming in as equals, heck yeah
any kind of special treatment
el paso

6 Likes

I’m trying to understand how the MWC doesn’t understand that.

1 Like

San Diego State
not AF

5 Likes

And Boise for all its achievements still can’t give us what we want - power conference status.

Boise preferring to be a ESPN school is a data point for ESPN and the AAC to put in its back pocket for 2025 or so. Could be an opportunity to kill off the rest of the G5 in terms of perception.

We’re giving them too much credit boise to me doesn’t move the needle neither does BYU so them coming here all high and mighty wanting to be the most respected in the conference isnt my cup of tea. If they want to add 3M or 4M to our 7M than sure. But if you want more than us go kick rocks. At this point in time UH has a better brand than both Boise and BYU.

4 Likes

Disagree our fan base can’t hold a candle to BYU, we only wish we had that kind of following, they would be a great candidate for the AAC

7 Likes

Yes BYU would be a good addition to the AAC but they believe G5s are beneath them and do not want to join the AAC. In addition, we would not give them a special financial deal that they would expect. They would want to be the UT of AAC. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

2 Likes

I really don’t think the AAC needs to expand unless to get another football only team to have 2 divisions, though it is unnecessary. Were we to expand, I would prefer a team in the eastern portion of the country but would be OK with Air Force or Colorado State.

What we don’t need is some team thinking they are above the rest of the conference and demanding a larger piece of the pie.

6 Likes

The only way I’d want them in is if the AAC is elevated to a true P6 with an “auto bid”. If they want in then we talk to ESPN and say we’re for them if we get the auto bid, otherwise it’s no. Reason is we’d have a very difficult league with no guarantees. Then the MWC can go 12-0 and hop over high in the rankings and steal the bcd bid while our teams beat each up and go 8-4, 9-3 and won’t be ranked as high for the bid. Acseno has to know this.

2 Likes

I say that if Boise is not happy with the MWC contract, then they should have come with us when the offer was extended. Now, they are an island. Screw them. The AAC is the best of the rest. the MWC is way farther down the pecking order. They made their bed.

2 Likes

I think poaching Boise would put a significant gap between us and the rest of the G5. Like you say though, they can’t come to a better conference and want to be treated like the boss.

1 Like

Boise has an excellent brand. Their gear sells like Hell. And BYU is a world-class brand even on a bad day. Because of their CLS affiliation those three letters are known the world over.

I’d like em both but agree NO preferential treatment. They can hump themselves if they think otherwise.

2 Likes

BlahBlahBlah. That explains why both of them are already in a P5.:grin:

1 Like

If we keep the same amount of money (or make more) and don’t have to extend our contract, give me Boise, BYU, and one of Airforce/CSU/UNLV all day long. Move Navy and Memphis (or maybe Tulane) to the East.

Are there any schools out East that would be worth adding?

1 Like

But why? As someone else stated the AAC is already the best G5 it’s not even close. Memphis had the same record as a few other G5 teams who had a nice season and it wasn’t even a question who was getting ny6 the auto bid. That’s all they give us as the top G5. We’re not making the playoff, we don’t make P5 money, we don’t make autonomy money or bids in the bowls. That doesn’t change by adding BYU and Boise. When the AAC added Wichita St in basketball it basically added a tournament bid to our conference. Those are valuable tourney credits football completely different in a bad way for us. It was actually win-win in a way with the Miz Valley because their auto-bid didn’t go away and their best team that took that bid often is now gone. Big pay raise is the only reason this would work otherwise don’t expand go the B12 snobby route.

3 Likes