Boise St looking to make a move?

IMO, Boise State and BYU should be a package deal. No odd numbers. All or nothing.

AAC is becoming a force in football with our current membership. We’re fine without either of them.

However, if they both agreed to join the AAC, then it would strengthen the image of the conference.

1 Like

I said that we would want to add. UConn doesn’t fit that description nor do they want to be in the AAC.

2 Likes

No. ESPN has no interest in adding any more schools to the Power 5. Just the opposite. Look for them to start paring those in the not too distant future.

1 Like

once again, AAC currently has 11 football members. We can add 1 to make 12, 3 to make 14, or 5 to make 16. If we add 2 that would make 13.

Adding BYU,BSU or both will not make the AAC a P level conference. It only happens if ESPN wants it to happen…they created the whole P5 G5 terms.

2 Likes

The AAC doesn’t need Boise any more unless it includes BYU. Aresco wants BYU.

1 Like

Boise State rep into the MWC office.
Why on earth did the AAC got more money than us Mr. Commish?

Meanwhile in San Diego

It is clearly a power play from Boise State to renegotiate their renegotiation of past negotiation.

4 Likes

Yup…this is Lucy and the Football…Again…

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeppers !

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. In that case, my pecking order would be BYU to get to 12 teams, and if we wanted to expand to 14 teams, then add Boise State (13), and either Colorado State or Univ. of Louisiana.

My understanding is the MWC wants to do away with Boise St’s preferential money disbursements, hence the flare up again. Unbalanced conferences are never stable

1 Like

Then if we must add three, let’s make it BYU, Boise State, and CSU.

We’ll get at least two good “ski trip” schools out of that!

3 Likes

Air Force would make an interesting third. Would make one of the CIC games a divisional matchup.

1 Like

Air Force and Colorado State are respected brands but they do not fall in line with the AAC’s protocol of selecting schools in large metropolitans. The only small town schools it would invite are BYU and Boise State.

If the small town school is not popular and can’t draw large TV audiences, the AAC is not interested.

Just as the Big Ten like its members to be AAU and the SEC like rural southern schools, the AAC like its schools to be in large media markets.

Boise, Air Force, BYU, San Diego State and Army and call it a day

1 Like

Judging by the way they treat MWC, I think Boise St is more trouble than it is worth. No to Boise State.

3 Likes

If they and BYU come, we will have to have a sit down with them, and tell both, this is how the AAC is run talk.

1_No team is better than the other.

2_We compete at the highest level without being jerks to other conference teams.

3_We never threaten the conference because we want more money and we let our level of play determine what we will ask for as a group at next negotiations.

4_If you cant comply to these terms, we don’t want you and leave the room NOW!

8 Likes

By and large the SEC is made up of major universities in their states, now public except for Vanderbilt (Tulane was also in the SEC until 1966). That some are in small towns is coincidental, but I wouldn’t call Knoxville, Nashville, or Baton Rouge rural, nor Vandy, Tennessee, or LSU rural southern schools.

I wouldn’t call Gainesville (pop 133,000), Tuscaloosa (pop 101,000), Auburn (pop 67,000), Columbia, SC (pop 133,500), or Columbia, MO (pop 123,000) rural. Heck, even College Station has 121,500 people. It is just that several southern states are less populated and therefore their cities are smaller.

You could describe the B1G the same if you think of Happy Valley, Iowa City, Champagne, Bloomington, etc all of which are relatively small towns, as rural.

3 Likes

If we got BYU and Boise and (fill in the bank) every year we would be better than one of the P5s top to bottom.

It would be hard to ignore us. Just don’t play Coastal Carolina.

1 Like